RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » CZ Trip Report

Author Topic: CZ Trip Report
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My conference in Denver ended Tuesday, 10/13, so Wednesday morning at 7:00 I was in Union Station awaiting the California Zephyr. I have plenty of AGR points stacked up, so I have a roomette booked. At 7:45, as promised, Amtrak started the check in process, and I exchanged my ticket for a boarding pass. At about 7:55 they began boarding, down the ramp and up to track 1. I’m in car 532, room 8, attended by Steve Williams. Everything appears in good shape, clean, walls paneled in wood, no clunks or clatters. We left Denver at 8:08, three minutes late, and worked our way up the curves into the foothills. We had last call for breakfast so I went and had the continental meal. Sat with two ladies from Argentina who spoke limited English, and one Japanese man now living in Iowa. We managed a nice conversation; the attendant spoke Spanish, and they were able to get their order in. They said afterwards they speak Spanish with an Italian accent. Never heard that one before, but there is a large Italian population in Argentina.

Sky is grey with a high cloud cover. It’s raining on and off, starting before the Moffat tunnel. After breakfast, I split my time between the lounge car, which is full and my room, just enjoying the scenery. We were 5 minutes late out of Fraser, and the same out of Granby. Not bad!

We were treated to a rather long convoluted threat not to open any “portals” as the GPS satellite could identify an open door, and would radio the dispatcher, who would call the engineer, who would call the Conductor, who would call law enforcement, and it would be bad for us. No joke.

I was a bit surprised to hear them announce that lunch would be first come, first served. Last time on this train we were asked to take time slots. Perhaps we are not as crowded now, but seems pretty full. I went to lunch at the first call; I figured this would allow me time to enjoy a snack and cocktail mid-afternoon, and still be able to enjoy dinner before sunset. It’s good to have a plan. At lunch I sat with a retired couple from outside Denver on a mini-junket to Glenwood Springs, and a lady named Susan, also from outside Denver. She is going to see Lake Tahoe. I had the hot sandwich, pastrami on wheat, Susan, the angus burger and the couple both had the Chef’s Special, a Cajun chicken over rice. It looked very good , and they both enjoyed it. My sandwich was ok, but the burger looked better.

We left Glenwood Springs at 2:00, seven minutes behind. The next couple hours were spent relaxing, glancing at my book, and enjoying the scenery - the whole reason train travel is my preferred way to travel. We stopped at Grand Junction for about 20 minutes, as it is a service stop. I bought a bag of pistachios and an ice cream sandwich at the little store, as I’ve heard a balanced diet is important when traveling. We left on time, and headed towards Ruby Canyon. The clouds had broken, and there was a beautiful rainbow to our rear, over the canyon. I went to the lounge car for a gin and tonic, and for a better view. As it was crowded, I sat between two folks who had been drinking for a bit longer than I. The guy was on his way to Salt Lake to attend his ex-wife’s funeral, and the lady, who talked to me for a while, was going to visit her (sort of) husband on his possible deathbed. The whole story was that she had married her husband over 40 years ago when she was 14. He was an alcoholic, so after a couple years, he left her for an older woman, who could go to the bars with him! But although each had hooked up with another partner, neither had ever filed for divorce. So yesterday she got a call from South Lake Tahoe that he was in ICU, with advanced lung cancer, and had listed her as his wife. She was distraught, perhaps with help from the drinks, so I made as many sympathetic noises as I could under the circumstances, until she was called for her 5:30 dinner reservation. I couldn’t make this up if I tried. I then finished my drink, and went back to my room to relax before my 7:00 dinner call. We had come and gone from Green River no more than 5 minutes late.

My dinner call came at 7:20, and I was seated with a woman returning to Salt Lake from a wedding in Maryland, a woman going California from Chicago, and a young guy going to California from Virginia. The three of them had been conversing for awhile in the lounge prior to dinner, but we had an enjoyable dinner, and I learned a few new terms I hadn’t heard before. I had the flat iron beef, which was good, but I would have called it pot roast, one lady had the special, pork loin, one had chicken tenders off the child menu with no hassle from the staff, and the guy had the pasta. All professed it “OK”. I missed our time leaving helper, but as it was right around our dinner searing at 7:20, we could not have been drastically late. After dinner I came back to my room to type and read my book, “California Desperadoes”. Provo came and went on time. We got to Salt Lake 20 minutes early. I walked up and down the platform, then made up my bed and called it a night as we left, on time.
I slept well enough that I didn’t catch the night time stops, and at 6:45 got up and went to the dining car. We were past Winnemucca, so it looks like we are still running one time. I sat with a gentleman returning from Rapid City, who even with a horrendous bus ride to/from Denver, still prefers Amtrak. And he works at SFO. A younger man sat with us, but didn’t exactly come across as a morning person, so we didn’t press. I had the French toast and sausage, as good as expected. We passed Fernley at 7:42, so we continue to make good time. We came into Reno slowly, waited there for about 15 minutes, then left at 8:40. Obviously the printed schedule is not the one being used now. About a month ago I received a call from Amtrak telling me my Martinez ETA would be at 3:36, so it appears we are right on schedule with the new times. I spent my time after Reno in the lounge all the way past Truckee, where we again left on time at 9:37, and past Donner Lake. I really like the scenery from Reno all the way over past Colfax.

I just waited most of the way from Colfax on in my room, looking out the window. As we neared Sacramento, the Conductor got on the overhead and made a brag about being early, even telling a bad joke about a pregnant lady to celebrate. We did in fact get to Sacramento at 1:15. That actually gave me over three hours to kill before my train to Modesto, so I wandered through the California Railroad museum. If anyone has a significant layover in Sacramento, I’d highly recommend visiting. At 4:55 I boarded San Joaquin 704, and at 6:25 got off in Modesto, where my wife was waiting to drive me home. All in all a good trip.

Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RR4me:
We were treated to a rather long convoluted threat not to open any “portals” as the GPS satellite could identify an open door, and would radio the dispatcher, who would call the engineer, who would call the Conductor, who would call law enforcement, and it would be bad for us. No joke.

LOL!!!!

Thanks for the trip report. Sounds like it was pretty good!

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice report....nice trip.

I'm going to avoid opening portals from here on.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great report. Love the info on the people you meet. Always a good part of taking the train.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page