RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » LAUPT 'Union Bagel'?

Author Topic: LAUPT 'Union Bagel'?
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have details on Union Bagel's closure in Los Angeles Union Station?

Just read that in a trip report by Carl Morrisson but didn't catch any details.

This is a shame...... particularly having just had a bagel with them two mornings in a row in June. Things seemed to be thriving those mornings.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've grabbed a drink or bagel there many times over the years. Sorry to hear that they shut down. The only thing I can think of that's different now as opposed to other times is that they now have a few different food options at LAUPT. Before, there was nothing--and that little bagel place was it. I wonder if the addition of Subway and I think Starbucks(?) is what made them go out of business?
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't been there in awhile, but I do remember that fast service was NOT one of their selling points. I suspect Smitty's wonderings are correct.
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't been to LAUPT for a few years, but it seems, every time I go there, there are different food establishments. What I do miss about LAUPT, however, is the old "Railroad Shop" that was there in the 1970's and 1980's -- I believe it was about where the "TRAXX Lounge" now is. The railroad shop sold all kinds of railroad & railfan memorabilia -- RR hats, patches, books, etc. Back in the 80's, each time I would pass through LAUPT, I would buy one or two of the oversized "Vanishing Vistas" postcards they sold -- each one with a beautiful color photo of a passenger train from days gone by, and a description of the train on the back. To this day, I still have several of those framed and hanging throughout my home.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahhhhh - I remember the Vanishing Vista postcards. I used to save my dimes and mail order a few of those every month when I was a kid.

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a Femina Market, Subway, Wetzel Pretzel and Starbucks plus the newsstand.

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Having grown up in a small southern college town (emphasis on 'southern' here), I had never been exposed to bagels until I went to graduate school in Maryland...... and then I was fortunate enough to live around the corner from the best bagel shop in College Park......

So..... I'll not go hungry in LAUPT BUT I'm bummed that I can't repeat the morning I had this past June...... buying a couple of bagels and having one in the waiting room before boarding a Surfliner to San Diegan..... where I had my 2nd bagel mid-morning with an oceanside view.

--------------------
David Pressley

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page