RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Great American Stations Map

Author Topic: Great American Stations Map
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An interesting interactive map of Amtrak stations:

http://www.greatamericanstations.com/flash/maplication/mapholder

After zooming into an area, center on a town or city so that the "cross hairs" turn to a pointed finger, then click. You will get a picture of the Amtrak station as well as local history and further information, to boot.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the link, Rchard -- another source of information for my route guides.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like they spent some time on this. Good recap on the history of the towns, at least for mine. thanks for the info.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the picture of the SBA station. It's taken from across the tracks looking through the park and along the path that would have lead to the Potter -- later Ambassador -- hotel. As Carl Morrison pointed out in his latest travel report, there are still plenty of good places to stay within walking distance of the Santa Barbara station.

Frank in foggy and cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it's fun to just click around and see what you find.

I also liked the write-up, Frank, on the Santa Barbara station and its history.

I see you have to really zoom in to get some of the smaller Amtrak stations. Took a bit of zooming to find Hamlet, NC. Same with Chemult, Oregon. I see they are planning a new structure for Chemult (beyond the enchancements in 2010 ?) which whill allow for a better shelter, rest rooms, and a travel information center. I do know, from prior forum posts, that there is a bus service toward Bend. Sounds like Chemult will be a nicer gateway for the resort and recreational areas of Sunriver, Bend, and Sisters.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the link. It's plain neat!
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page