RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » AGR Points Redemption

Author Topic: AGR Points Redemption
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm kind of a novice when it comes to AGR points redemption. I have about 4,000 points and a $50 travel voucher that Amtrak sent me, and I am contemplating a round trip, Palatka, FL to Newark, NJ in a few months.

Anyone have any suggestions how I can keep the cost to a minimum for the trip? May have to go coach, because of finances. Is it advisable or feasible to buy more AGR points? I guess I'm asking how far 4,000 points would get me - probably not too far.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike, Amtrak.com will give you the answer in either dollars or points. Since the Star is less expensive for sleepers, looks like that train would be the best bet. A quick look, shows coach fare around $110 each way (about same for Meteor) while you can get a roomette for around $300. Having done it once (when the Star ran 12 hours late and a short ride became a nightmare) I would never take coach on the Silvers. Fly. Looks like Southwest has some $80 fares from Orlando-Newark.

Points in coach looks like around 4700 each way so you might do that one way, if you're brave and then maybe roomette the other. Roomette points is around 10,000. If you must take coach, perhaps a daytime ride on the Palmetto from Savannah would be more enjoyable. But then, you have to get to Savannah which might require a motel.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks! If I go, I may buy 1,000 more AGR points which, coupled with my $50 voucher, is practically free one-way.
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The other three legs were all horror shows; latenesses due to signal problems, broken down freights, and a new one to me, "outlaw crew" on 97 coming down requiring a delay of 2-1/2 hours in Virginia for a replacement operating crew to be located. Jeez! I have a case no. with Customer Relations on that one, because it made us 3-1/2 hours late today coming home, and I don't quite understand how that happens. Didn't the engineer(s) know when they left Washington exactly where and when they would run out of hours? Why didn't Amtrak have the replacement crew waiting in Fredericksburg already?
Mike, isn't one horror show enough for a year?

Traveling in Coach will only make the horrors into a 'trifecta".

We're not kids anymore, but if you fly, at least the "horror show" should be a 'six hour over and done".

I think even "the faithful" around are starting to lose "faith" regarding the LD travel product. It appears that Amtrak will get funded without regards to the quality of the product they put on the table to most of the country.

Fly!

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page