RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Private Car Dearing

Author Topic: Private Car Dearing
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Went to the Train Show at Tampa Union Station yesterday, taking 91 down from Deland to Tampa, and returning on 92. We had private car Dearing as the rear marker both ways - beautiful car. Does anyone know who owns it and where it's based? Jacksonville?

Anyway, got away from the farm for a day, picked up some train swag for my grandson Leo, and got to chat up an awesome little gal singer named Kat who does gigs around Tampa.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's more on "Dearing":

http://www.aaprco.com/rail-car/dearing/

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of private dining cars, does anyone know whatever happened to the "Turquoise Room" diner on the old Super Chief? Is it in some train museum, somewhere?

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richard, although the owner, Dan Ainsworth, passed away some five years ago, our host around here, Trainweb, continues to maintain his Dome Main site.

However, some changes have likely occurred during that time.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ATSF Pleasure Dome lounges 501-505 are the cars which had the Turquoise Room.

None of them are listed on the current AAPRCO site as available for charter.

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info Mr. Norman and Mr. Pullman.

I went to Mr. Norman's link, "Dome Main", and noted the part about the damaged sand paintings. I can't believe Amtrak placed the magazine racks just above the paintings. I have a number of sand paintings from my stint on the Navajo (& Hopi) reservation in Arizona. The colored sand grains are very fragile and can come off easily.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richard, this is a link to the Arizona Railway Muesum.

The roster listing gives the history of the Santa Fe 'Pleasure Dome" and some photos.

Here are a couple I took a few years ago. Not a good one of the dome but gives you an idea of the nice museum collection. It's an easy stop off if you drive from Phoenix to Tucson to catch the Sunset.

The last photo has the dome Plaza Taos in it, wish I had taken a close up. By favorite was the private car Federal.

-
 -
 -
 -
 -

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice thread creep. I was going to post a picture or two from Saturday, but I don't know how to do so.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Mike:

The one I like to use is Photobucket.

There might be other sites easier to use. You have to create a UN and PW. Once you get into the site, you can upload your photos from "pictures" in your computer. Once your photo uploads to Photobucket, click on the photo and see the IMG, to the right. Click on IMG and you can copy and paste on the Railforum.

Richard

Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
 -

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Like pulling teeth, but there's a pic of Dearing at TUS, 5/13/17.

Thanks, Richard.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
"Dearing" is noted in this article appearing in Today's Wall Street Journal. Unfortunately, the Journal has been plugging the knotholes in their paywall:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/wealthy-train-buffs-are-traveling-cross-country-in-super-luxe-railcars-hitched-to-amtrak-trains-1521727200

Fair Use:
  • The restored private railcars that travel today tend to be luxuriously decorated mini-mansions, with multiple bedrooms, private chefs, domed glass ceilings and observation decks. Many are owned by ordinary train enthusiasts, who run charter trips to help defray costs.

Borden Black does the cooking on trips on her 1925 Pullman, named the Dearing, with an observation lounge, dining room and three bedrooms. She charges $6,600 a bedroom for a 10-day round trip from Washington to New Orleans

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
http://facebook.com/luxurylandcruising/

Fair Use
  • My heart is heavy, my dream is dying. AMTRAK IS PUTTING US OUT OF BUSINESS
All I can note to this Private Car owner is "live with it". Of course your car is roadworthy, you would never tender it to Amtrak if it were otherwise. Of course you've trained your on-board staff in all pertinent areas of railroad safety, who says other operators have done same?

For incidents occurring without regard to fault, Amtrak is liable. This is the case whether the incident occurred at Frankford Jct, DuPont, or Kayce. All involved fatalities and represent, total, partial, and none Amtrak negligence.

So "Dearing" owners, I know it is difficult to look at this development as independently as I (for whom, chartering a PV is not on my "bucket list"), but it appears you are without alternatives.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page