RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Future Of Amtrak - Wall Street Journal

Author Topic: Future Of Amtrak - Wall Street Journal
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today's Journal, in a Journal Report section (sometimes with Features, the jailer forgets to lock up), has a transcript of a panel discussion regarding all modes, present and planned, of passenger rail:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-future-of-u-s-train-travel-1498010520

Here is a Fair Use quotation with regards to Amtrak Long Distance trains; the panel consensus is that if it is to continue, there need be a commitment of continual public funding:

• ..The Future of Amtrak
    WSJ: Does it make sense to keep putting money into existing Amtrak rail lines, which are government-subsidized and often shared with freight?

MR. PUENTES:America’s passenger rail network is really made up of two types of routes: those less than 400 miles and those greater than 400 miles. The former typically enjoy direct state support and always serve at least one large metropolitan area. The latter represent the “geographic equity” portion of the network....If Congress wants to continue serving rural areas with passenger rail, it needs to recognize it as “geographic equity” and not expect it to run “like a business.”

MR. FEIGENBAUM: With three other modes (aviation, intercity bus and passenger vehicles), I don’t see the wisdom in subsidizing a fourth mode when the other three are largely (although not totally) unsubsidized....

MR. KUNZ: I hate to point out the obvious, but all transportation is subsidized. ....

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Going on a trip to SLC, Utah to visit son's family, so I won't be active on here until the 1st of the month or so.

Just wanted to say that Trumpism doesn't seem to be slowing down looking at these special elections, and I'm now very pessimistic about the future of certain aspects of Amtrak. Thanks for the post, Gil.

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak's point of risk is simple: The Administration wants to zap many programs across HHS, Ed, Trans, Commerce, Labor, Ag, Interior...

Congresscritters can fight only so many battles. Amtrak is a tiny bit in the grand scheme of programs. The LD fleet serves a small number of cities with a vitamin formula (1 a Day). Is battling for Amtrak worth the time of a Congresscritter fighting other battles?

Be prepared folks. Adios drumheads are not unrealistic.

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak just announced that it is building a new $28 million locomotive service facility in Seattle. I'm sure that most of the work will be done on locos for the Cascades trains and contract work for Sound Transit, but the Starlight and Empire Builder will also contribute to the work being planned for the new facility. Do Amtrak execs have more confidence in the future of the LD network than Mr. PullmanCo?
Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reports of the near death of Amtrak have been proclaimed many times its life of now 46 years. The ONLY real cut in route structure came under Jimmy Carter. Amtrak is a miniscule portion of the Federal expenditures so unless we have some congress critter that thinks he can make some points with his constituency by calling for its demise I think it will mostly be flying under the radar.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Question: who was the most famous congress critter who thought he could make points with his constituency by bashing Amtrak?

Answer: former congress critter John Mica (R-FL)

I don't closely follow Florida politics, but maybe his constituents wanted him to concentrate on issues more important than Amtrak.

Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page