RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Worst Amtrak Trip Ever

Author Topic: Worst Amtrak Trip Ever
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On #97, 8/12-8/13.

Down 1-1/2 hours in Richmond (spillover from events in Charlottesville), then we struck and killed a "trespasser" at 4:40 am in Lake City, SC - 4 hour delay.

Nearing Palatka, we went in the hole for the N/B #98, then the Autotrain. Total lateness = 6 hrs., 40 mins.

Not even going to bother complaining to Customer Service - not contemplating any more trips in the near future, so they can keep their vouchers.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty sick if even a die hard like you, Mike, has "had it".

Hey, it's no fun, but in 5 hrs it's "over and done"; i.e. that song by Robert M. Crawford.

Hope you had a Sleeper.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not this time, Gil - had to go on the cheap. Had some pretty good company in coach, though. Gotta say the folks I left behind at Palatka looked like they were ready to mutiny, as they faced an after midnight arrival in Miami.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh well Mike, tomorrow I "sleep" in Seat 6A. United 777-222 Acft #2888. Their "lie flat" Business seat is about same size as a Roomette Upper.

Oh and Frank; Maureen told me today she "knows someone" on the flight, but I never, ever, "expect" what I got last year returning.

addendum: I just received a text saying that the Aircraft is now 777-222 #2141 instead of 777-222 #2888. Apparently, this substitute aircraft has been reconfigured to the two class configuration which means no First and the Polaris configured Business Class. The bad news for those in Economy is that the cabin is now configured 3-4-3 instead of 3-3-3.

So I’m looking forward to seeing this new configuration – and pity “those in back”.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Amtrak issued me a travel voucher for $114 as an adjustment for my ill-fated trip.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
From Crowne Plaza Piitter Salzburg

Could Amtrak ever learn a thing or two from Henrys Catering, the outfit providing F & B to the OBB.

Yesterday, I went to Vienna and finally had my ride on the Reisenrad (and no; Orson Wells did not try to push me off it) as well as a great Lunch at Sacher (also in the movie). But I did burn through €40 with taxicabs.

Returning on a RailJet, I had to try out a Dinner, and I'm ever glad I did, even if already stuffed and using taxicabs in Vienna rather than Mr. Shank and Miss Mare. The Ground Veal patties and mashed potatoes were far superior to anything I'very had on Amtrak since the F&B came under the Micascope.

Oh and speaking of Mic, the waitress said, they prepare the food off site, refrigerate (not freeze) and mic on board. Not sold within 24hrs of preparation, off it goes to a charity.

Tonight a concert.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page