RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak FY 18 Appropriation - $1.9B

Author Topic: Amtrak FY 18 Appropriation - $1.9B
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
USA Today reports that the FY 18 Spending Bill is a "done deal" and on its way to President Trump, who has no reasonable alternative but to sign it.

The reporting notes the LD trains with this quote taken from the Administration's Budget request:
  • “Amtrak’s long-distance trains do not serve a vital transportation purpose and are a vestige of when train service was the only viable transcontinental transportation option,”
Well, I have to say that considering Amtrak is getting $1.9B, I have to note that the LD's are the most profitable trains on the System.

Because they roll, their pork benefits numerous legislative districts, which means that as pork goes, they are mighty cheap providers of such.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to today’s news, after some reluctance, the President signed this today. According to Trains’ news wire it does sound like good news:

“Amtrak gains in the two designated categories, Northeast Corridor and National Network, are substantial. The Northeast Corridor would receive $650 million in 2018, up from $328 million in 2017, while the National Network would receive $1.292 billion, up from $1.1 billion. In all, Amtrak funding increases from $1.428 billion to $1.942 billion.”

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hope no lines get terminated now
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Palmland, I think that even if the appropriation is allocated, Amtrak is free to use it wherever needed. Likely where needed most is for Penn Station as well as equipping the locomotive fleet for PTC. This video, released by METRA, gives some visual idea of what is involved to make a locomotive PTC ready:

https://youtu.be/3LJRPNMj8Ho

Ms. Sojourner, I think the existing LD system is safe for another year. No further comment on my part is warranted.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page