RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak Cutbacks

Author Topic: Amtrak Cutbacks
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More Amtrak woes:

https://is.gd/p9Frj7

From the article:

"sleeping car passengers are now being limited to one bottle of water, one hand towel and one washcloth per room with only six towels available in the communal shower for the entire trip, complimentary juice is gone and complimentary coffee is limited to one half pot per car per day, a lack of cleanliness due to the furloughing of a number of coach cleaners in Chicago, waste tanks on the eastbound Zephyr that were not emptied in Oakland, a burnt-out Lead Service Attendant on the Lake Shore who was the sole food service provider to two full Viewliner sleepers, and that agents in Chicago were ordered to throw away all remaining inventory of printed schedules and timetables".

I have to wonder if all of this is just administrative ineptitude or does Amtrak really have a death wish?

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richard, first let it be noted that the material you submitted is a "blog", or a discussion forum such as we have here. As such, the material must be considered as opinion, and not an article.

Now it appears that "Congress is just being Congress" in that they are resisting any changes to the existing SWChief route. How could I have ever thought that the record FY18 appropriation was to build infrastructure to support passenger trains in markets where they can provide meaningful service competitive, price and time, with other modes.

Beyond "experiential travelers" and that small number of "can't drives and can't flies" (but still must travel, such as for medical reasons), what are the LD trains for? No matter, even if you buy into Selden's "voodofax", it has to be accepted LD trains take heaps of loot out of the cookie jar.

Posts: 9979 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Much of this was originally posted on another web site by Ross Rowland, entrepreneur and sponsor of many steam excursions. Subsequently, others posted that the cutbacks had not been their experience on recent LD trains. I suspect the truth is somewhere in between.

All this would make a great book about 5 years from now as we get a longer look at Anderson's tenure.

I still think much of this wailing and downright anger could be avoided if Anderson would just be up front and describe his long term LD game plan in some detail. In fact, he should take it to his board and then an appropriate congressional committee for a clear thumbs up or thumbs down.

But then, as we all know, Amtrak is not a real business but just a strange political creature.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, of course Mr. Norman, it is a blog and subject to errors. However, if the paragraph I quoted from the article is absolutely true, one wonders if this ludicrous belt-tightening comes from top management or from someone in mid-management trying for brownie points.

Mr Palmland, I couldn't agree more that Anderson should clarify whatever plans he has for LD tains. I do hope that making the train experience progressively deplorable is not a ploy to justify the rapid removal of most long distance Amtrak trains. If Anderson is really set on their elimination, I think he should work out, say a 5-10 year plan, with the Critters for phasing out the LD's.

A very quick jettison of the LD trains and thus leaving people in "fly over" LD states cold turkey is most unfair, in my opinion. Perhaps a phase-out plan would allow the states to come up with a possible replacement plan.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page