RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak Stops Where?

Author Topic: Amtrak Stops Where?
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Amtrak Stops Where?" is the title of an article in the Sept. issue of TRAINS magazine. The focus is on Amtrak stations and depots in remote locations with low passenger ridership and passenger traffic.

Their list:

PORT KENT, NY (Adirondack). The train only stops when the ferries are running.

MONTPELIER JUNCTION, VT (Vermonter).

ELYRIA, OH (LSL, Capitol Ltd). An open platform with only a rudimentary shelter.

PRINCE, WV. (Cardinal). A town with a population of 116 (2010 census). It does have a C&O "Chessie the Cat" image inlaid in the waiting room floor.

GRAND FORKS, ND (Empire Builder). Nothing in walking distance and Amtrak doesn't staff the station.

PAULS VALLEY, OK (Heartland Flyer).

HAZLEHURST, MS (City of New Orleans). It does house the Mississippi Music Museum.

SCHRIEVER, LA (Sunset Limited). Deep in bayou country. No shelter.

ESSEX, MT (Empire Builder). I would think things pick up during the summer months with people destined for the Izaak Walton Inn).

SURF, CA (Lompoc -Surf -Pacific Surfliner).

PALM SPRINGS, CA (Sunset Limited). The station is out in the middle of nowhere).

LAS VEGAS, NM (SW Chief). It does have the Castaneda Hotel which is scheduled to open in 2019.

I'm sure that many could make suggestions to add to the list. A few of my picks, for Amtrak western routes, would be:

KELSO-LONGVIEW, WA. - DUNSMUIR, CA. (Coast Starlight)

LAMAR, CO. - BARSTOW, CA (SW Chief).

BROWNING, MT. - CUT BANK, MT. (Empire Builder)

HELPER, UT. - HOLDREDGE, NE (Calif. Zephyr)

Holdredge looks like an interesting place. The home of the "Nebraska Prairie Museum":

https://is.gd/PnTFtF

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it's Port Kent, and there's nothing wrong with the stop, plus it's seasonal. I've gotten off there to catch the ferry to Burlington and so did some others when I did. Also, NYS pays for the Adirondack to serve the Adirondacks.

I thought the Essex stop was also seasonal too, and made sense, but I've never used it myself.

Not sure where Montpelier Junction is in relation to Montpelier, but Montpelier is the state capital and the state pays for the Vermonter, so they obviously want a stop of some sort for their capital.

As far as Palm Springs go, I believe it is a crazy stop; far more sensible to take the train to LA and then an Amtrak bus to Palm Springs. Don't know it's usage.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, thanks. It is Port Kent and I made the correction.

I believe that the stop in Essex, an Amtrak flag stop, is year-round. Besides the Izaak Walton Inn, it's a popular stop for cross-country skiers.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We just returned from Vermont and we walked down to the station in Burlington where a very attractive Vermont Ry. excursion train was parked. It goes down the former Rutland RR to Middlebury. That is also the line that extends to Rutland and funds have been secured to upgrade it allow the Ethan Allen to continue to Burlington. It’s a far more direct route than the Vermonter to nearby Essex Jct.

With the U. of VT in Burlington we really enjoyed our time there visiting shops, breweries, and the weekend farmers market . You are not allowed to leave Vermont as a tourist without buying maple syrup! Another requirement visiting VT is to have a Maple Cremee, a decadent soft serve ice cream. We were slurping on ours when the Vermonter came into town, St. Albans, where we were visiting friends who have place nearby. It was about on time too. VT certainly beats SC in August.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
I've tried Vermont maple syrup. It was good but I like "Log Cabin", as well. I also like Green Mountain coffee. The Maple Cremee soft ice cream sounds very good.

The one small village stop, I hope to make, would be Dunsmuir if I can figure out how to handle the weird arrival and departure times for the CS. A stay at Railroad Park Village and I understand they have a great ice cream parlor nearby.

Richard

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vermont is very lovely, one of my favorite states.

Is Log Cabin maple syrup? I thought it was corn syrup.

Canada has good maple syrup too.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner, I suspect this is more than most want to know but the vendor for the syrup educated us on the 4 grades. He taps the trees in late January and produces a light colored syrup, mostly what you see in stores. The prefered syrup is the Amber that is tapped a bit later and has more flavor. Then there is Dark and finally Very Dark with an intense taste. The latter is used for cooking and is especially good when cooking salmon.

To keep this sort of on topic, or at least railroad related I found a photo with this caption:

From time to time in the 1930s, the CVR operated “special-purpose” freight trains to generate new business. This short train of refrigerator cars carried maple syrup products from Burlington, Vermont to Springfield, Massachusetts.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Mr. Palmland: I routinely get a flyer from the Vermont Country Store, which has plenty of Vermont maple syrup available. Kind of expensive, but I'm sure it's worth the extra cost. Better than Log Cabin or Aunt Jemima.

Vermont Maple syrup in a "Log Cabin" tin:

https://is.gd/txFvr5

Sojourner: I think you're correct. Log Cabin syrup is now just a high fructose corn syrup. It may have been more of a true maple syrup in the old days, but I'm not sure. The last time I was in Jasper, Alberta, it seemed like every souvenir shop had Canadian maple syrup.

Richard

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where is Mr. Paulshore when he is needed to comment on Maple Syrup - especially regarding such on his Amtrak travels?

http://www.railforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/11/3080.html

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
I wonder if Amtrak ever served real maple syrup with their "railroad french toast"? (probably too expensive). Do the Canadian VIA trains serve real Canadian maple syrup in their dining cars? I also wonder if some of the famous, old US passenger trains served real maple syrup with their railroad french toast. I know one, that did, was Phoebe Snow and the Lackawanna. I believe it was real maple syrup from a source in Pennsylvania.

Richard

yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Interesting link, Mr. Norman, from 2005. It looks like some Amtrak meals weren't all that great, even back then (Mr. Toy's remarks about rubbery pancakes and stale french toast).

Maple syrup and RR french toast, I know, are a far cry from the posted topic, "Amtrak Stops Where?", but here is an interesting link to railroad french toast as served by some of the premier passenger trains of the past:

https://is.gd/efIWAj

I'll bet the Santa Fe french toast was the best, but Union Pacific's french toast looks awfully good.

Richard

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
One of the long lost amenities on Amtrak is the heavy silverware used. Most railroads served the syrup well warmed in a container with lid and saucer attached to contain any spilled syrup. The B&O had their famous salad bowl, and a glass decanter with silver lid was always on the table for the waiter to keep your glass full or use to fill the finger bowls, Most today would have no idea why it was placed in front of them.

While I liked the french toast, L&N’s country ham, eggs, and grits were hard to beat.

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by palmland:
L&N’s country ham, eggs, and grits were hard to beat.

Yes!! A first class meal in every sense. And the guidelines for employees (early to mid 1960's) specifically mentioned it as not being allowed to submit when traveling on company expense. If you wanted it, YOU paid for it.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by yukon11:

The one small village stop, I hope to make, would be Dunsmuir if I can figure out how to handle the weird arrival and departure times for the CS. A stay at Railroad Park Village and I understand they have a great ice cream parlor nearby.

A comment on my comment. By any chance, has anyone been to the Railroad Park Resort, in Dunsmuir, CA, in the past few years?

https://is.gd/JTYW2r

I am considering a visit in the summer of 2019.
From the website, it looks like they have expanded their caboose lodging options and have added a neat little dining car.

I think Mr. Palmland had a visit a few years ago and reported back. My niece was there, a few weeks ago, and really enjoyed the railroad park and she isn't really a train or railroad devotee. The one problem she had, and I may have if I go next year, is the smoky air due to the annual forest fire extravaganza.

Richard

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page