RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » A renaissance of overnight trains?

Author Topic: A renaissance of overnight trains?
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today’s WSJ had this interesting article about overnight trains. Not surprisingly, no mention of Amtrak. Perhaps Amtrak’s CEO has this in mind for his experiential trains.
New Age of Sleeper Trains

A couple excerpts:
“Cushy sleep­ing berths on new rail­cars and might-ily re­fur­bished ones are rolling into sta­tions every-where, from the Scot­tish High­lands to the Pe­ru­vian An­des. They’re cater­ing to a grow­ing fac­tion of trav­el­ers look­ing to es­cape the har­ried air­line ex­pe­ri­ence or sim­ply to in­dulge their nos­tal­gia—real or imag­ined—for overnight rail travel, largely fu­eled by books and films (see “Track Stars,” on page D6, for a sam­pling).”

While the author didn’t care for Italy’s overnight Venice to Dijon train, the night train from London to Penzance fared better:

“The Night Rive­ria might not be as se-y as the trains of Agatha Christie and Wes An­der­son or as posh sound-ing as Bel­mond’s, but for the space and ci­vil­ity and price, it seemed hard to beat. By the end of the day in Pen­zance, I was watch­ing jet trails criss­cross the sky and al­ready look­ing for-ward to the re­turn train pas­sage to Lon­don.”

Also mentioned were movies that appealed to many here, there was one I had not heard of:

“ That Kind of Woman - This lesser-known 1959 film, di­rected by Sid­ney Lumet, finds World War II vet Tab Hunter hook­ing up with Sophia Loren—you know, that kind of woman—in the club car of an overnight train from Mi­ami to New York.“

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who knows for how long this will stand, so "watch it while you can":

https://youtu.be/69d4KAnWtic

Incidentally, I noticed SAL 6BR-Lng "Red Mountain". That was the "protect" car for the "--Beach" Sun Lounge on the "Meteor". I rode in it once during '62 "Old Penn" to Richmond Broad Street.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting article, Mr. Palmland.

If Amtrak LD trains bite the dust, I wonder if an All-Pullman passenger train could make a comeback? Possibly west coast-Chicago-east coast with very limited stops along the way. It would have to be several cuts above present Amtrak sleepers, with good food and amenities. No slumbercoaches! [Wink]

What was the last US All-Pullman train? Was it the Panama Limited?

I noted, in Mr. Palmland's link, a movie ad for "Murder on the Orient Express" (1974 with Albert Finney). That is my 2nd favorite Orient Express movie. I think the best one was the 2010 version, on PBS, with David Suchet as Poirot.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richard, I think it was The Broadway. That lasted until about December '67 while the Panama went with the timetable change.

To continue, I have been "tempted" to try out the supposedly rejuvenated NightJet service Salzburg to Venice, but it simply looks to me like someone just put "lipstick on the pig". Also, at my age, it's change enough to spend the night on a plane and the strange surroundings of a hotel (even if the plane is Business Class and the hotel is "Four Star"). Am I going to pack up and lug my stuff on to the train? Will I just leave the hotel unoccupied (and possibly have staff worried about me)?

European rail "Eurailpass Marathons" were one thing fifty years ago; something else today.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Reviewing IMDB Goofs for "That Kind of Woman", I don't know where the one regarding GG-1's horns came from. They had "bull" horns as they apparently did in the movie.

Secondly, "Red Mountain", as in that I noted before, was delivered (source: Wayner) from ACF (apparantly amongst the only three cars SAL ordered from that builder) during 1949. The movie was set during 1944.

But all told, I'll watch it; I never seen a Sydney Lumet film I didn't like.

yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Referring back to Mr. Palmland's link, the WSJ article mentions the new Caledonian Sleeper.

https://is.gd/KhNRWs

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Richard, you have a point. This site is essentially unmoderated and discussing "That Kind of Woman" ("kept" back in '59? Oh, what do censors let through?) is off topic.

But let it be known, I watched the rail travel portion. Unfortunately, I cannot place this Lumet movie in the same space as I do "Network" and "The Verdict".

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like they almost got it right with a Seaboard train advertised as the Silver Meteror. Much better than most Hollywood movies that usually just show a generic SP train. But, Red Mountain, and sisters Stone and Kennesaw where Georgia locations for use on the Silver Comet. Later bumped to the Silver Star when I saw them many times in Ashland.

I think you could guess that the movie would never be an Oscar contender when the star is Tab Hunter!. Sort of like the Elvis movies.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page