RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » "Favorable" New York Times Magazine Article - NY-LA Journey

Author Topic: "Favorable" New York Times Magazine Article - NY-LA Journey
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This Sunday, The New York Times will have an article regarding a Coast to Coast Amtrak journey. While The Times, along with most other nationally circulated publications, more aggressively protects their copyrighted content, there might still be a "knothole" in the paywall (hey, I pay 'em $1200 a year for that "thump on my porch", there'd better be for me).

Fair Use:
  • TELL YOUR FELLOW AMERICANS that you plan to cross the United States by train, and their reactions will range from amusement at your spellbinding eccentricity to naked horror that they, through some fatal social miscalculation, have become acquainted with a person who would plan to cross the United States by train. Depending how you slice it — time or money — there are either 61 or 960 immediate reasons not to travel by Amtrak trains from New York City to Los Angeles. Those are the extra hours and dollars, respectively, that you might reasonably expect to forfeit if you forgo a six-hour $129 nonstop flight and opt instead for an Amtrak sleeper car. Covering the interjacent 2,448.8 miles can easily consume some 67 hours for a mind-boggling $1,089.
All told, it appears the freelance writer "did it for the experience" but is not about to become a "rabid railfan".
Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, GBN, I enjoyed that article so much I took them up on their offer of a $52 annual digital subscription. In my neck of the woods, my print WSJ arrives late afternoon or next day, so I have surprised myself by preferring the digital version on my iPad. Something about an old dog and new tricks.

In order to avoid indigestion, I'll skip their editorial page but I do enjoy their travel section and perhaps cooking and some business and feature articles.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved the article. The quintessential experience on an Amtrak LD train and in an Amtrak roomette.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Mr. Palmland, welcome to "my rag" of some 70 years standing. For Sunday Dinner, both my Sister and I had to select an article from the paper - no sports - and recite to my Mother and Father to their satisfaction.

So far as the Times columnists, even being your presumed conservative, I would not dismiss out of hand David Brooks, but I realize, and respect, that ones such as Michelle Goldberg and Nicholas Kristoff will be too lefty, as they are for me.

Finally, if I could ever learn to read a paper on line, looks like I could save myself some "heap big wampum". On line is limited to "tying up" at the likes of Marion IL and Macon GA. Funny how the Breakfast Room TV at Express or Hampton is always tuned to F**. One time, I was the only one there. I found the remote, and KLIK.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
So much for a "neutral to positive" article. Now to one that, simply, is "out and out" negative:

https://jalopnik.com/i-took-amtrak-instead-of-flying-and-it-made-me-want-to-1833533707

Fair Use:
  • It started, I think, as a joke.

We were booking my travel arrangements to get me to and from the Detroit Auto Show back in January, and someone—I think it was Raphael Orlove—started looking up Amtrak tickets, just to compare them against flights.

Thanks to some strange streak of self-abasement, I thought this was a great idea. Let’s see what taking a train is like! It’ll be an adventure! This will be a fascinating!

I now know that, unless “fascinating” has very recently changed meanings to be a catch-all word for “long, dreary, grim, and depressing,” I couldn’t have been more wrong.
"We report, you decide".
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
Well Mr. Palmland, welcome to "my rag" of some 70 years standing.

I also should add Bret Stephens to the columnists you should review:

https://www.nytimes.com/by/bret-stephens

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page