RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak to Scranton PA?

Author Topic: Amtrak to Scranton PA?
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wilkes-Barre Citizens’ Voice
quote:
Amtrak, the nation’s largest passenger railroad, proposes a possible route between Scranton and New York City as part of its nationwide expansion plan.

An idea first officially floated more than a decade ago, the proposal for Amtrak service between the two cities appears on a map that officials of the federally owned railroad have circulated lately as they lobby Congress for $25 billion over five years for expansion.

Ray Lang, Amtrak’s senior director for national-state relations, presented the map in September during a Zoom webinar hosted by officials of the Rail Passengers Association, which advocates for wider passenger rail development. …

Sounds like more teasing to me. Certainly Gateway comes long before something like this, never mind other stuff this article teases such as service to Binghamton NY and elsewhere on the Southern Tier.
Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Helfner. in forty two days from this posting when Joe "raises his right", he will have a few more pressing matters than addressing a passenger train to his one time hometown running over a right of way that need be rebuilt from the ground up.

Love how the advocates talk away about "Amtrak Joe from Scranton, PA" and fantasize that translates into a passenger train over a route, while existing with FRA Class 1 or maybe 2 in some spots within PA, but chopped up in Western NJ.

Finally, anytime I have occasion to drive under the deteriorating viaduct over I-80 and the River. I cringe at what will drop on my auto from such - also cringe at how when the highway narrows from four to two lanes and the speed drops to 55 from 70, it "doesn't seem to mean too much" to the 18-wheelers.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trains Magazine recently put things back in tease mode, showing the wish-list map for Connect US that includes Scranton as a new service, as well as (and who knows why) Ronkonkoma NY, deep in Long Island RR territory.
Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Used to be up on my Long Island Rail Road history and frequented a discussion board for a time. I'm pretty sure that there was an "experiment" which may have actually been only a "proposal" back in the PRR/LIRR ownership days wherein service was contemplated from the Keystone State (Pittsburgh?) to Long Island points, obviously running through Penn Station. I know it's April Fool's Day, but pretty sure this is doable (however, I don't know why anyone would want to).

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page