RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » General Forums » Train Simulators and Games » Innsbruck to St. Anton - MSTS v. Real Life

Author Topic: Innsbruck to St. Anton - MSTS v. Real Life
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last month on my trip to Salzburg primarily for music at the Festival, I did take a day trip to St. Anton am Arlberg. I had two reasons; one being that my Sister has been there but the other was to try out in real life Microsoft Train Simulator's Orient Express run Innsbruck-St. Anton set circa 1925.

In a word, the "Sim" is quite accurate. The real life route parallels the Inn River Innsbruck to Imst through a level valley. Never mind the present day Rail Jet moves along at 125mph, while the max the steam powered "Orient Express" can make is 60. Ascending to St. Anton along the Inn, first to Landeck, then Eastward to St. Anton, the real life Rail Jet maintains a steady 40mph, but at times the Sim's "Orient Express" drops to 4mph providing the player with "think I can..." moments.

Major landmarks, such as several monasteries and the Castle Wiesberg, on the Sim are there in real life. Many of the stations still have structures as depicted by the Sim, albeit with some platform upgrading.

Now the only place there are major differences is approaching St. Anton. The Sim depicts the train struggling up the final grade to an imposing St. Anton "hauptbahnhof"; in real life, there is a tunnel and in a short space of daylight is a nondescript St. Anton station. The West portal of the Arlberg Tunnel (I didn't ride through it) now begins right at the station, the Sim has it some half mile to the East. I have learned from historical photos, that the station depicted in the Sim was "more or less" authentic with that existing there during 1925. It was razed during 2000.

Final difference; in real life, the Innsbruck Hauptbahnhof is a run through station with no change in direction of travel (often the case in Europe). The Sim depicts it as a stub "terminal".

Posts: 9390 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An update: when I visited St Anton/Arlberg during '16, I was unable to locate the former station. It turns out I was completely mistaken when I noted that it had been razed.

The structure is indeed live and well, even if it no longer has any rail use. It is located adjacent to the Post Hotel, which Mr. Google has identified on his map.

The Googlemobile has not driven by it, but there are numerous still photos of it available.

It looks as if it's enjoying its "second life".

Posts: 9390 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Ahab has found the "Great White Whale". The quest has ended.

This past Monday, I took a day trip from Salzburg to St. Anton/Arlberg. This time, I located the former "Bahnhof". It is now as I noted earlier, an "annex" to the "four star" Post Hotel.

I now have photos of the nicely maintained structure, but I've never learned how to post photos here.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page