RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » General Forums » Open Discussion » John/Steve/Tim v. Bill/Steve/Satya

Author Topic: John/Steve/Tim v. Bill/Steve/Satya
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's have discussion of Apple v. MS OS's:
Posts: 9981 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Allow me to elaborate on my experience with Windows 8.1, which I have had up and running for about a month. I updated solely because MSFT has stopped supporting XP, which, like Mr.Twin Star, has served me well.

I of course had to get a new computer - the latest Dell Inspiron desktop; also since Lotus 123 is no longer published, MSFT Excel for $213.00 - yup, all the boys for whom this topic is titled, seem to know how to make you "upgrade' - keeps you up to date; and of course their pockets filled.

Posts: 9981 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have started listening to a local AM radio show called Tech Talk. The host says all the XP users will do just fine by changing to the free operating system Linux on their XP machines. Everyone who has tried it, loves it. Browsing and email work just the same and there is way less risk of viruses (some say no risk). Also internet speeds are reported to be 2 to 3 times faster than with Windows.

The downside is that software built for Windows (Lotus and Excel?) may not be usable. But the bottom line is, don't just toss that XP machine away.

I hate to admit it, but I actually have 4 computers (old XP desktop, W7 desktop, W7 laptop, and my new W8.1 Windows Surface Pro tablet/laptop). My W7 machines also run in XP mode using freeware from windows called Virtual PC. I never connect to the web in XP, no need to. Therefore it should be safe to keep using it. And I use Lotus 123 on the 3 machines that still have a CD drive.

And on my newest, I second Mike Smith's ravings about the awesome performance of the Solid State Drive. Instant on and off, noticeably faster and will likely be trouble free. I hear they are also easier to replace than the old drives that move.

I am ok with 8.1 so far. I only barely dabble in "apps". So I stick with desktop mode mostly and there is not a whole lot of change from W7. My old cheap W7 desktop is still my workhorse and I never do banking or credit card stuff on wifi or portables.

Still no Smartphone here. I don't text and I am too cheap to pay for data. I might have to spring for one of those portable "wifi hotspots" though, to use on the LD trains. And to this crusty old codger, Excel is "not exactly" an upgrade from Lotus (don't get me started).

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Sooner or later, my 2007 XP Dell desktop will find its way into my auto's trunk and thence off to Computers For Schools - a charitable organization.

What I find interesting with 8.1, is how much of what I use when starting with the Touch Screen, reverts to Desktop. This is the case with Excel, Outlook, and Pictures. 8.1 just seems like another MS "makeover' of DOS with the various Windows features piled atop the tried and true.

I too , Jerry, would have stepped forward in a heartbeat if Lotus published a version of 123 supported by 8.1 - no such luck of course. However, I find Excel to be quite "learnable' - after all, what you and I know about developing spreadsheets has "not exactly' gone away.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
A commentator I heard today regarding the Apple launch of products, namely an iPhone 6 and a Smartwatch, made the most astute comment regarding Apple marketing I've heard.

"Apple can develop a product to which the consumer's first reaction is what do I need that for?, convince him he has a need, and then have the consumer wonder how he ever lived without it".

Smartphones, anyone?

Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just downloaded iOS8.2 and lost my bedazzled game. It is now an instant "turn off the screen" app...
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
From one nationally circulated publication or the other, i.e. Times or Journal, I learned that MSFT will launch next year Win 10. Unlike Win 8.1, the default will be the present 'desktop" screen offered by Win 8; the "kiddies" who love those Tiles that default on W8? you'll just have to go looking.

On 8.1, I have all but forgotten the Tiles; my default is set at Desktop.

Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I now have a Dell Inspiron at work. I transfered all my XP docs onto the Dell's 1TB HDD and will move everything to my new 512GB SSD tomorrow.
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page