RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » General Forums » Open Discussion » Corner Bet Illinois Politics

Author Topic: Corner Bet Illinois Politics
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Corner bet; even if presently seven points behind, Pat Quinn will be re-elected Governor (pro passenger rail) and that Blagojevich will be pardoned by Obama come January 19th 2017.
Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, today my first prediction is on the table. I must say, as I walked to now the Park District Community Center (new polling place; the School District wanted the Election Commission to go elsewhere account security concerns), I did not see a single Quinn sign abutting the "hundred foot zone". Turnout was strong, and I'm sure that if "so goes Du Page, so goes Illinois" prevails, Rauner wins by a landslide.
Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Looks as if I must "eat my hat" on the first prediction. Illinois has had "good" Republican governors in the past; Edgar and Thompson are two coming to mind. Maybe Rauner will turn out to be one of such. Sure hope so for the sake of my adopted home state.

Oh well, at least Quinn will leave office without any concern that his next home will be the pokey.

So, be sure to tune in January 20, 2017 to see how the other half of my soothsaying turns out.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
I admit being mistaken regarding Quinn/Rauner. He sure made good on his campaign promise to "shake up Springfield".

But of course, when you end up with a budget impasse that prevents the Lottery Commission to pay out winners over $600, something's rotten in the "State of Affairs"

Fourteen months to go for my other prediction.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Obama will "spring him":

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-rod-blagojevich-appeal-20160809-story.html

Possibly the Judge has a Republican bias (now we know that never happens) and will make Obama take some discredit on the way out in January.

But I do think 14 years is "a bit harsh".

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Perhaps when starting this topic, I was unaware that a president could either pardon (you're forgiven; you're free) or commute (too harsh; you can get out in "X"-time-from now).

The latter has much greater chance of occurring. Blago "did bad stuff" as in attempt to "sell" for $$$, as distinct from horse trade, a US Senate seat vacated by Obama. But no political "bad guy" has done fourteen years for corruption.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-blagojevich-obama-decision-commutation-20161225-story.html

Other "Illinois Bad Boys": Ryan did 5.5yrs (six people died account his wrongdoing), Walker (for crimes after leaving office) 18mos, Kerner 3yrs.

There is a pretty good track record for what the "bad boys" (four Governors have been behind bars since I've been around these parts) will get, and by those standards, the sentence imposed on Blago was simply too harsh.

Not likely he will be out on Inauguration Day, but how about in another two years after having done six?

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Dang; wrong again.

Even if I never voted for Blago, I still think fourteen years is too harsh for political wrongdoing.

As I immediately noted, three to five is "par for the course".

He's probably going to do the time; Trump is not about to commute his sentence - other than the Tower, which is as good as a branding arrangement, Illinois is just somewhere Trump flies over - doubtful if he will campaign for anyone here in '18, or let alone campaign for himself in '20.

Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about another side bet? Who will be the first Senate-confirmed cabinet level official to get the "you're fired" from #45? My money would be on General Mattis (SecDef) being the first to grab his hat and hit the road.
Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Oh Mr. Vincent; Mad Dog is the only Secretary or Designate so far that both The Times and Journal editorially agree is a good pick.

In what areas do you think the "friction" will develop?

Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mattis is from Washington state (the dry side/eastern WA) and he's fairly well known for his blunt and honest talk. How will that mesh in an administration that speaks in "alternative truths"? Not well I suspect.

I'm sure Mattis will be willing to speak his mind and base his advice on sound evidence; but when his opinions conflict with the administration's "correct" answers, who is going to bend?

Mattis might also be in the wrong job. Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff might have been a better position for him. Running the Pentagon is a bureaucratic post and much more political.

Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Mattis is from Washington state (the dry side/eastern WA) and he's fairly well known for his blunt and honest talk. How will that mesh in an administration that speaks in "alternative truths"? Not well I suspect.

I'm sure Mattis will be willing to speak his mind and base his advice on sound evidence; but when his opinions conflict with the administration's "correct" answers, who is going to bend?

Mattis might also be in the wrong job. Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff might have been a better position for him. Running the Pentagon is a bureaucratic post and much more political.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
WBBM 780 reports that President Trump is again considering a commutation of Rod Blagojevich's fourteen year sentence for political corruption.

I guess, if there is foundation to this report, it's a "quid pro quo" in that Trump is definitely weighing commutations, and even pardons, for various "bad boys" within his administration.

I'm no Blago fan; and never voted for him. He did wrong, and even with the now seven years he's served, he has paid his debt vis a vis other political crimes.

So, time will tell.

Addendum: He did it!

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Well, so far Blago has been the only story on "News at Five".

Betcha, Blago will hit the trail for Trump. Even though as a felon, he has been disenfranchised, nothing says he cannot campaign for a candidate.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page