RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Travel » Best direction on the California Zephyr

Author Topic: Best direction on the California Zephyr
LtPete
Member # 72

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LtPete     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm planning to take the California Zephyr and was wondering which direction to take it, east or west. Which way will be the best for scenery.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JSChicago
Member # 68

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JSChicago     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I haven't traveled that route, but looking at the timetable it seems that both directions traverse the same part of the country overnight--the Utah/Nevada desert and the Colorado/Nebraska Great Plains. So there wouldn't be an advantage based on scenery. Someone who has ridden it before may know if there is a directional advantage for some other reason, though.

------------------
Peace,

Jack S.
Chicago, IL

Posts: 27 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recommend riding the California Zephyr westbound. If the train is on time, then it is about the same either way. The eastbound train tends to get way behind schedule. It gets dark while crossing the Rocky Mountains and you end up seeing the boring part of the ride in the daytime. Travelling westbound, the train leaves Denver in the morning to begin the trip through the Rockies. If it's late, you should still have a lot of daylight ahead of you for the best scenery.

Dean

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with West to East. I've done it both ways. And the east bound train is late very often, as a Konstantin said, so you'd miss the mountains. Also westbound you get great desert sunsets. Be sure when you leave Denver that you have breakfast early so you get a seat in the viewing car (either side really as here are a lot of windows). There are great mt and canyon views all the way to Grand Junction but especially from Denver to Glenwood. Hop off the train in Grand Junction and there may be peaches for sale from the local (Palisade) orchards. They are having a great crop this year and may have some in the store in the station. And the same for melons as you go thru Utah...

Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pete - Ooops. I meant East to West. Take it from Chicago. Sorry about that.

Ira

Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LtPete
Member # 72

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LtPete     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for the info folks. Its been most helpful.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite direction is also east to west. The only down side would be if the train is very late you would miss the scenery through the Sierra Nevadas. Hopefully they will have additional rail service from Reno to The Bay Area, so you could detrain in Reno, win some money at the tables LOL & then continue on the next day to the Bay Area. Yours Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page