RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Travel » Air fares vs. train fares

Author Topic: Air fares vs. train fares
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was bored tonight and got curious how air fares compare to rail fares on the most likely trip my wife and I might make with any regularity. That would be from Monterey, CA to Salem, OR. I assumed going in that Amtrak's coach fares would beat United's coach fares, but I was surprised to learn was that Amtrak's sleeper fares also beat most of United's coach fares by about $200!

I planned a hypothetical trip leaving Monterey on March 4th and returning March 8th.

United is really our only air option here, and it would require one turboprop commuter flight from Monterey to San Francisco, one 737 flight from San Francisco to Portland, then a 90 minute bus ride from Portland to Salem. Round trip coach air fare for two ran anywhere from $499 to $1512. To get the $499 we would have to leave at 5:30am, which is not an option for this night owl. Departure at a reasonable hour would cost $835, and this was the most common fare quote for various times. I could bring this down to $525 if we wanted to take a 2.5 hour van ride to San Francisco, but that would be no fun.

For Amtrak our trip would involve a 30 minute bus ride to Salinas and the Coast Starlight would take us directly to downtown Salem overnight. Coach fare for two runs about $299, definitely cheaper than flying, but I expected that. But I was surprised to see a Standard Bedroom for two cost $648, about $200 less than the most common air fare. And we're talking about first class on the train vs. coach on the plane.

Conventional wisdom usually says flying is cheaper than a sleeper, and on cross-country trips that is probably true. But on shorter runs, Amtrak sleepers are definitely competitive. It was an eye opener to me.

Disclaimer: this was a hypothetical trip based on on-line fare quotes. Actual fares may vary.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even on cross country trips, try comparing 1st class fares on the plane to similiar rail fares. It's very competitive for 2 people traveling, but a big savings for a family traveling. The family bedroom can accomodate 2 adults & 3 children. With the children up to 15 traveling at 1/2 of the adult rail fare & the family bedroom charge at less than twice the charge for a standard bedroom, it's a real bargain. On the All-Aboard fare you would be allowed up to 3 stopovers enroute, something the airlines don't allow. Overall it's an inexpensive, civilized & scenic way to travel.
Yours Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David
Member # 3

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for David     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am pleased to see that Reggierail makes reasonable comparisons between air and rail fares. Many people tell me how much cheaper it is to fly from Toronto to Vancouver than to go by train; yet they compare the cheapest available economy air fares with the fare for first class sleeping accomodation aboard the "Canadian." This is a ludicrous comparison. One has to compare fares of the same or similar class of travel. In Canada we have no first class air service, only Business or Executive Class. This generally means first class seating, but certainly not first class service and food. I recently took a free flight (on points) between Toronto and Vancouver and return. This was priced at $3200 (Canadian, of course.) A round trip roomette on Via would have cost about $1800 or about $1400 using a Canrailpass or North American Rail Pass. A Business Class flight, one way, from Toronto to Winnipeg costs $900; a roomette is almost that in peak season but only about $550 the rest of the year.
Posts: 216 | From: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice to hear from one of our neighbors to the north. As a travel agent specializing in rail & Canada, I can honestly say that Canada is my favorite travel destination. I have already done 2 rail tours from California to New England & Eastern Canada & am now planning my trip for next October. I'll be sure & give some more details on the forum. Thanks Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
enrailway
Member # 350

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for enrailway   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On Vancouver Island the VIA train is about twice the cost of the bus(we don't have airlines serving all Island communites) but the train offers alot more to the passengers than the bus, the passengers can walk around, the vestbule windows open and you can visit the engineer in the lead RDC cab.
Posts: 26 | From: Sooke, BC, Canada | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timecruncher
Member # 323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for timecruncher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In markets where there is little air competition, Amtrak compares favorably thanks to "yield management." The same, unfortunately, is not true in all markets. Compare coach fares Chicago - New York where there are lots of daily flights (several trips per hour all day). Almost any APEX fare will beat Amtrak simply because there aren't enough seats/sleeper space for all of the folks who want to ride. Here railfares are higher simply because Amtrak can afford to charge more and still fill seats. You can still find bargains in coach on the train if you book a couple of months in advance, but this is not always possible. Sleeping car surcharges are exhorbitant in the east and the cars are usually sold out. The airlines wish they had a product that could demand premium tarriffs 'year-round!

The real shame is that Amtrak can't make money even with the relatively high fares being charged many passengers and still turns away unknown dozens of passengers every day because trains are "sold out" for part or all of the trips requested.

Posts: 6 | From: Burlington, KY USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It may be unfair to compare rail sleeping car service with coach air, but that's exactly what most of us business types will do. On an overnight trip, I am NOT going to sit in a coach seat.

So let me give a non-hypothetical example. I'm going to Savannah on business the first week of March. Air fare is $181, plus I'll need two hotel nights at $100 per, for a total of $381.

I checked Amtrak, and the fare for a round trip (including an economy room both ways for the overnight trip) is $579.90, plus I'll still need a hotel for one night at $100, making it a total of $679.90 -- plus I'm away from home for an extra night.

Now, how can I bill a client an extra $200 because I want to take the train?

That's reality. In nearly 14 years of travel, I've managed to travel on business by train exactly twice outside the Northeast Corridor.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
miketrak
Member # 543

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for miketrak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With todays airline congestion, if one wants to pay the price the train is the superior mode of travel. The few times I travel overseas as a tourist I allways take the train to a costal city. This is just an opinion. Miketrak
Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLC
Member # 58

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sleeping car charges cannot be considered exorbitant if the train is sold out!
Posts: 62 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CVFAN
Member # 634

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for CVFAN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunatley it's not always cheeper to travel by rail. When I recently priced a rail trip from MA to FL going coach, it would have cost twice as much for rail.That's a hard sell for myself even as much as I adore trains considering the trip will take 3 hours by plane and 24 by rail.
Posts: 32 | From: Florence,MA.USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page