RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Travel » VIA Canadian question

Author Topic: VIA Canadian question
ChrisJ
Member # 320

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for ChrisJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm planning on riding the Canadian in July, from Vancouver to Toronto. I will have a single bedroom. How much luggage space will I have when the bed is made up? I've seen the diagram on VIA's website, but it's pretty hard to tell from that. I've been in both Superliner standard & deluxe, so a comparison to those would be good. I usually travel with a roll-aboard & a tote, both of which are ok as airline carry-on.
Thanks,
Chris

Posts: 46 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David
Member # 3

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for David     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The single bedroom, as Via insists on calling it, is the traditional roomette. Almost all the sleeping cars on the Canadian are the "Manor" series. The four roomettes in these cars have a surprising amount of luggage space. A moderate-sized suitcase will fit under the chair. The luggage rack above the mirror will take a case almost as big. It is advisable to put everything you need at night in the luggage "on top" as access to the lower luggage space is obviously cut off when the bed is down. There is usually one "Chateau" series sleeper in the summer consist. The eight roomettes in this type are a bit smaller. The "lower" roomette has room under the seat only and the "upper duplex roomette" has a fairly large shelf on top, but no space at all under the seat. Via can tell you whether you are in a Manor or Chateau sleeper, but the odds are you will get one of the nine or more Manor sleepers.
Posts: 216 | From: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete
Member # 591

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Pete     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chris...think of the single roomette as about the size of a large handicapped washroom stall, not much bigger. I've travelled in them numerous times in years past between Vancouver and Calgary, before VIA took it over from CP. It's just the right size for a single person..and if the rules are still the same.. only those passengers in these sleeper cars are allowed to use the "Park" cars on the tailend. Coach class riff raff were not allowed.. hahahaha.
Posts: 13 | From: calgary | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
enrailway
Member # 350

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for enrailway   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're going to Vancouver, hop the BC Ferry come over to Victoria or Nananimo and take this train.

The E&N Dayliner. Also run by VIA Rail. Seen here in Nanaimo.

Posts: 26 | From: Sooke, BC, Canada | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page