RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Travel » Heritage Sleepers

Author Topic: Heritage Sleepers
MedievalWoman
Member # 595

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for MedievalWoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've booked the Viewliner Sleeper a couple of times but recently booked a Heritage Sleeper for an upcoming trip. I know the Viewliner is an upgrade over the Heritage but what can you tell about the Viewliner as it compares to the Heritage?
Posts: 3 | From: NY NY USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLC
Member # 58

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't comment on the deluxe Viewliner Room, as I've never roade in one. As for the Standard Viewliner vs. the Heritage Roomette:

(1) The Viewliner has two bunks vs. one in the roomette.

(2) The Roommette has a wider bed than the Viewliner, BUT,

(3) In order to access toilet facilities in a roomette, the bed must be lifted. This is a pain in the neck in the middle of the night.

(4) The Heritage roomette is better insulated from hall noise, and generally rides smoother.

I like the standard room in the Viewliner. Unlike the Superliner sleeper, the Viewliner was designed by people who actually take overnight trains.

Posts: 62 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MedievalWoman
Member # 595

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MedievalWoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've only been in the Standard room on the Viewliner. I've never actually been in the Deluxe bedroom which really looks comfy.

I understand that there is a bathroom in the hall on the Heritage. Are the Heritage roomettes comfy? I'm trying to find a picture online of the roomette but havent had much success o far...

Posts: 3 | From: NY NY USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try the VIA Rail site as the roomettes on the overnight Canada trains are identical to the Amtrak Heritage roomettes. I really enjoy the Heritage cars if for no other reason than the nostalgia factor. All of these cars are about 50 years old. I don't believe the Viewliners or Superliners will be in as good a shape in 50 years. BTW there is no bathroom in the heritage cars as all the rooms have toilets. There is a shower which replaced one of the roomettes. Yours Reggie

------------------

[This message has been edited by reggierail (edited 03-11-2001).]

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLC
Member # 58

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I understand that there is a bathroom in the hall on the Heritage. Are the Heritage roomettes comfy? I'm trying to find a picture online of the roomette but havent had much success o far...[/B]

I believe the common bathroom has been replaced by a shower. The roomettes are comfortable, althought a bit worn.

Posts: 62 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never was a common bathroom in the 10-6 sleepers. There was no need for one as the rooms all had toilets. The shower replaced I believe #9 roomette. There is also a handicapped roomette across from the shower. The Via Rail Manor sleepers have 4 roomettes & 6 bedrooms. They used to have 4 sections with upper & lower berths but they replaced 1 of the sections with a shower. Those cars have 2 common bathrooms as the sections have no bathrooms.
Reggie

------------------

[This message has been edited by reggierail (edited 03-12-2001).]

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MedievalWoman
Member # 595

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MedievalWoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now I am confused. I thought the Three Rivers Heritage had a toilet in the room, no showers in the car and a bathroom down the hall. Can someone clarify please?

[This message has been edited by MedievalWoman (edited 03-13-2001).]

CVFAN
Member # 634

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for CVFAN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm unsure which Heritage equipment they are using on that train but the Heritage roomette I used had a toilet which gets covered by the bed at night. It isn't very hard to move the bed up if need be. The Heritage fleet is being fazed out and can be a treat of sorts to railfans.
Posts: 32 | From: Florence,MA.USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
I have traveled the Heritage sleepers on the Three Rivers between New york & Chicago several times in the last few years. The last time was October of last year. The cars have 6 bedrooms which can hold 2 passengers with uper & lower berths. They also have 8 roomettes, 1 handicapped roomette $ a shower. Each room has it's own toilet and sink, in the bedrooms it is enclosed. There is no common bathroom in the car.
Yours Reggie

------------------

MLC
Member # 58

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by reggierail:
Never was a common bathroom in the 10-6 sleepers. There was no need for one as the rooms all had toilets.
Reggie

Not true. Not all 10 & 6's had a common bathroom, but some did. I have ridden on 10 & 6's (in the AMTRAK era) with a common bathroom. I in fact used it once to avoid putting my bed up one night!

[This message has been edited by MLC (edited 03-21-2001).]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page