RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Travel » Montreal to Toronto Via Rail Canada

Author Topic: Montreal to Toronto Via Rail Canada
lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for lakeshorelimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In April I'm planning to go on a nice little loop trip from Albany-Montreal-Toronto-Albany with stop offs in both Canadian cities. I'm well versed in the Amtrak system, and should have no problem with that portion of the trip. However, I have never taken Via Rail Canada. Is there anyone with experience on the Montreal-Toronto line who could tell me about their travels? How much are tickets usually for that time of month? I've been to their confusing website and I was wondering how I could get the lowest fare. Has anyone taken the overnight train #51 before? Do you recommend this route or a specific time of day? Is there anything different about Via Rail from Amtrak that I should be aware of? Any info is appreciated.. thanks
Posts: 140 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David
Member # 3

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for David     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm leaving tonight on the overnight train to Montreal, so I don't have time to quote you the exact fares. The Via web site isn't really that confusing. Go straight to "Fares and Reservations" and click Toronto to Montreal and return, choosing the date you want. Although the fares are accurate, the web site cannot tell you if the cheapest fares are still available for a particular train on a particular date. (There are two levels of discount in coach.) You will have to phone Via for that information. That "yield management" is not used for sleeping car discounted fares and Via 1 (the daytime first class) is one set price, unless you have a coupon such as those given to members of the frequent traveller's club called Via Preference. I do recommend the Via 1 service. Hot meals, drinks, wine (and on evening runs, liqueurs) are included in the fare. Specific seats are assigned in advance. There is reasonable leg-room, but the width of the seats is the same as in coach, that is 2 by 2 seating. I have taken the overnight train several times. Sleeping car passengers have the same equipment as on the Canadian and Ocean, minus the dining car, but including the Park car (dome lounge) in which a continental breakfast is served. I will post an update when I get back to Toronto on Wednesday.
Posts: 216 | From: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete
Member # 591

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pete     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can only relate my Montreal/Toronto ride of four years ago when I splurged the extra to buy a Via 1 seat and was somewhat disappointed to find that the Via 1 coach was identical to regular other than the meals and drinks. No. I'm not a snob.. just an ordinary schmuck who maybe just once a year or so wants to sit on the front side that cursed airplane curtain we so often covet and can't afford.
Posts: 13 | From: calgary | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for lakeshorelimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info guys.. I think I'll just bite the bullet and pay whatever I have to for that train and not worry about saving a lousy couple extra bucks. It'll be my first VIA trip, and I don't know the system well enough to worry about it. I'm glad you like the overnight train, so I think that's the one I'll take. Have a good trip!!
Posts: 140 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The service on VIA Rail is often quite superior to Amtrak, although Amtrak's service has been improving steadily the last few years. I would say take the overnight train from Montreal to Toronto & get to spend more time in both marvelous cities. You'll also probably pay less for the sleeper than you would in a hotel. If you want the best hotels by all means do the Queen Elizabeth in Montreal & the Royal York in Toronto. Both hotels are right at the train station & having stayed several times at both hotels I can recommend them highly. If you choose to save a little on the hotels try the Hotel Du Parc in Montreal a fabulous hotel about a mile or so from the train station, near Mount Royal at about 2/3rds the price for the Queen Elizabeth. In Toronto the Strathcona is right across the street from the Royal York & about half the price. Sounds like you'll have a great trip. Yours Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David
Member # 3

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for David     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I returned Wednesday from my fifth and sixth trip aboard Via's "Enterprise." While it is still a fine train, I have to admit that the service was more shoddy than I have experienced on Via in several years. The service manager did not board sleeping car passengers in Toronto until 20 minutes before departure. The train had been in the station since 5:00 p.m. Although there is no "official" boarding time, I have boarded as much as 45 minutes before departure. The Montreal boarding was a little earlier. Notwithstanding the promise of assistance with baggage upon entraining and detraining, all passengers were left to drag their own on and off, unless they hired a redcap (available in both Toronto and Montreal.) Both crews made no announcements as we arrived at our destination. First time travellers, including those from out of Canada, seemed confused. We left in Montreal through an unattended vestibule; there was no "bridge" over the half-foot gap between the high-level platform and the vestibule. In Toronto there were no towels in any of the rooms in the two sleepers and the attendant seemed surprised that we would ask for them. She then handed them to those who asked and didn't appear to offer them to everyone. There were shower kits in all rooms, though.

On the plus side, all the crew are quite pleasant. The continental breakfast in the Park car is quite satisfactory. There is fresh fruit, packaged juices, assorted pastries, yoghurt and cereal. Real cups, cutlery and linen napkins are provided, as well as a tray if you wish to take breakfast in the dome. The train runs on time and "rests" for 2 1/2 hours in the middle of the night (at Kingston westbound and Brockville eastbound.) The service we received this time is not typical on Via, so I would still recommend the overnight train. There is no baggage car on the train, so if you need help with your luggage and it is not provided you may have to complain to the service manager. Via offers a 25% advance-purchase (seven days) discount on Monday to Thursday nights.

Posts: 216 | From: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too have just travelled on the Enterprise between Toronto and Montreal, and had much the same experience as David. On the 9th of March, I did not board until shortly before departure, and the sleeping car attendants at both ends refused to assist with my luggage. In fact they simply disappeared when the trains arrived at the stations making it feel very much like some of my Amtrak experiences. In addition, as I was travelling on free Via points, I had a complimentary roomette (#7 in the middle of a Chateau sleeper). When I boarded my sleeper, I saw that my car was in the Manor series that has only four roomettes. When I pointed this out, I was told to take a roomette that is situated over the wheels. As well, this car was spotted backwards which meant that I would be riding head-first, which I very much dislike. The train service manager refused to upgrade me unless I paid the full double bedroom fare of over $200 (which I did most reluctantly since I wanted a good night's sleep). It is interesting to note that in returning from Montreal on the 13th, again there was no roomette 7, but at least the train service manager gave me a free upgrade to a double bedroom. I have written to Via seeking a refund of that extra bedroom fare--it remains to be seen if Via agrees. Notwithstanding all of the above, I will still take the Enterprise as I do not like the long day trips, and the so-called Via 1 first class is not really first class at all with its very crowded two by two seating.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for lakeshorelimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks again for all the info.. much appreciated. My friend and I booked seats on the Enterprise a few days ago. Now we'll be able to travel on the rails for the whole trip, which makes me happy! I was afraid we were going to have to take a Greyhound to cut down on costs. However, he's a Star Trek fan, and couldn't resist the minute he heard that we'd be taking the "Enterprise" to Toronto. The irony was too funny to pass up. And for me, I need no convincing to take a train.. ever!!!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page