RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Travel » First class Amtrack Travel

Author Topic: First class Amtrack Travel
JennyandJoeS
Member # 732

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for JennyandJoeS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have sleeper on the Sunset Limited next month from LA to New Orleans and back. What is normal tip for sleeper attendant, dining waiters, etc? How is food? Is first class food different?
Posts: 2 | From: Las Vegas NV | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
budd
Member # 97

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for budd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JennyandJoeS:
Have sleeper on the Sunset Limited next month from LA to New Orleans and back. What is normal tip for sleeper attendant, dining waiters, etc? How is food? Is first class food different?

I usually get a nice smile for a $10 tip to sleeping car attendant. Diner cooks food for entire train and I consider it outstanding. I`m sure you`re aware your meals are included in your sleeper ticket. Although I don`t buy the hotdogs or other microwave food available in lower level of lounge car, there are people who subsist on that for a trans-continent trip. 15% to table server is appropo. Good luck and bon voyage!

Posts: 14 | From: Auburn, NY USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I might add that if you choose to have a meal from the lounge's snack bar be sure to tell the attendant you are a sleeping car passenger so you can get your free meal there instead of the diner. On our last trip We found that they fed us a bit too well in the diner, and our appetites weren't up to three hearty meals without much physical activity to work it off. A light lunch from the snack bar worked great.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLC
Member # 58

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tip to the sleeping car attendant should be appropriate to the service rendered. After all, you have already paid big bucks for the sleeper space. I give $3-5 per nite, but do not tip for indifferent or offensive service, which happens all to often on AMTRAK.

The dining car tip should be the same as in any restaurant. Unfortunately, that service can be screwed up too - like no coffee at breakfast, etc. Then again, tip appropriate to service.

Posts: 62 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In sleeping cars I start out at $5.00 per night and go up or down from there depending on service or lack thereof. I have tipped $20.00 for really good service, and $0.00 for bad or non-existent service. In the dining cars, I usually tip 15% of the approximate value of the meal. As a sleeping car passenger you will not receive a bill for the meal, so I often just leave about $4.00 to $5.00 for dinner,$2.00 to $3.00 for lunch, and one or two dollars for breakfast. Or nothing if service is rotten. I am not one of those who believe that a person deserves a tip merely because he is alive and breathing--it should be earned.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennyandJoeS
Member # 732

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for JennyandJoeS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to thank everyone who responded to my questions. Your honesty and sincerity is greatly appreciated. What nice people are on this board!!
Posts: 2 | From: Las Vegas NV | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yummykaz
Member # 475

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for yummykaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have a great time! New Orleans is fun! But hold on to your wallet. I have heard of many people getting pick pocketed!

But anyway about your questions!

I tip 10-20 for the trip. And I tip based on service given. A car attendant can make or break your train experience. So can the dining car sttendant.
The car attendant can ignore your, offer no water,juice , cookies or can offer all that, bring your food to your car etc.
A dining car attendant can seat you with a "bad choice" or keep you on a waiting list.
I usually tip waiter in dining car 5 bucks a meal for my table of 3 kids and 2 adults.

Hope that you get Ed Lemon or Elizabeth Kosowski (sp) . They are GREAT car attendants on the Sunset. Outside of El Paso, be sure to catch the view of the Pecos river crossing. It is awesome! Also going up the tressle over the Huey Long Bridge outside of New Orleans is amazing and scarry!

Posts: 168 | From: Spring TX USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page