RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Travel » On-board upgrades

Author Topic: On-board upgrades
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have coach tickets for the Coast Starlight over Memorial Day weekend (leaving Thursday, returning Monday). I have heard that one can get good deals on sleeper upgrades if you inquire on-board about any vacancies. Is that true? Has anyone had any experience doing that? Who would you talk to? On a holiday weekend its probably a long shot, but I'd like to give it a try. Maybe I can get lucky, at least in one direction.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John B. Bredin
Member # 109

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for John B. Bredin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't been on the Coast Starlight, but I have done upgrades to sleeper on the Capitol Limited and the City of New Orleans. The only time there were no sleepers to spare was when I was traveling on Memorial Day and the train was filled. The Starlight may be a different story, though, because more people take it as a "cruise" train.

In my experience, you ask whoever checks your ticket about upgrading to sleeper; if they can't sell you the upgrade, they will call the person who can on the radio. You can pay with cash or credit card (I don't know if they take checks) and you'll get a receipt. The sleeper attendant will be told by radio to expect you and will show you to your compartment; I've never had to explain that I had just upgraded.

For the one night in sleeper class, including meals, I've had to pay somewhere between $80 and $100. IMHO, that's pretty inexpensive, no more than a good hotel room, and a good deal with the meals included. I don't know if the Starlight would be **that** cheap, since that train has the Pacific Parlour Car as an additional first-class amenity.

Posts: 22 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard of upgrading enroute & did it on occasion when younger. I don't do overnight anymore without a sleeper. You are sort of playing the lottery on board, all depends on the mood of the conductor. He's the one that would sell you the space. I would suggest talking to the sleeper attendant just to find about availability & then ask your attendant to speak to the conductor about upgrading. I've seen good deals & bad deals.
Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLC
Member # 58

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Upgrading on board is a crapshoot. I just took the Three Rivers. Coaches were less than 1/2 full - but the sleeper was sold out! Memorial Day weekend is a holiday, so don't expect to be upgraded.
Posts: 62 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I will be traveling by myself, I can't justify the full price of a sleeper. I don't mind riding in coach. Between 1974 and 1984 I did this trip several times a year in coach, and it was fine. But I am hoping might get lucky and get a deal. If not, no biggie. Thanks to all for the advice. I'll let you know what happens.

------------------
-Mr. Toy

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just another trick I've used is to get the price at the boarding station. Once on the train ask the conductor what the upgrade fare would be. If to your liking buy it, if not wait till the next crew change & try again. It wouldn't hurt to keep trying until it gets too late to bother with.
Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AMConductor
Member # 807

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for AMConductor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it is the Conductor who would sell you the space IF it's available. No-shows do happen but as it's a holiday weekend...?
As soon as you board ask the Conductor or the Assistant Conductor if there is ANY space at ANY time during the trip. You may be able to snag a room from Sacramento to Klamath Falls or Eugene. And, yes. Keep checking down line. You just may get lucky!
Enjoy your trip and leave the watch in the suitcase!

Posts: 4 | From: El Cajon, CA, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You got the watch thing right, AMConductor. I don't even bring one with me. I just don't care. They make announcements for meal service & lounge hours don't really concern me as I've got my flask in my room....LOL. Riding the train especially on the longhauls is a time to get back to a calmer,easygoing & peaceful way of traveling. I traveled to Miami from Bakersfield last fall to go on a cruise. Went both ways by train & the train was more enjoyable for me than the cruise.
I hate to drive more than an hour or two at a time, won't ride a bus except the occassional AMBus & you'd have to drag me screaming onto an airplane.
It's just so sad that more people don't realize what a rare & forgotten pleasure rail travel really is.
Yours Reggie

------------------

reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One more thing MrToy, the sleeper charges are the same northbound from any point between San Jose & Sacramento. You'd be better off getting the room all the way from San Jose as you'd get dinner & some time in the Pacific Parlour Car. If you can't get the room till after Oakland you won't get dinner so you might as well wait till after Sacramento when the charge for the room goes down. Most conductors will charge you from the next station so by getting the room after Sacramento you could still get plenty of sleep, have breakfast & lunch in the diner & partake of the champagne or wine tasting in the Pacific Parlour Car. Have a great trip & be sure & give us a trip report.
Yours Reggie

------------------

Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank's everyone for all the advice. I will be sure to post a report of my trip. I'm looking forward to it regardless of whether I end up in a seat or a bed. It'll be my first trip on the Starlight since 1984.

Incidentally, on the dozens of trips I took on the Starlight between 1974 and 1984 I only had a sleeper once, on my honeymoon in January 1983. We're still happily married. The train ride must have helped.

------------------
-Mr. Toy

Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I completed the northbound half of my trip yesterday. I did inquire about an upgrade, but the chuckle I got from the conductor indicated I didn't have a prayer. No worry. I had two seats to myself and was able to sleep reasonably well. The fellow in the seat behind me was a great companion.

Overall the trip was great, largely because of the terrific service from the crew. BUT it was a whopping 5 and a half hours late! That is the latest I have ever been on a train. I missed a concert I was going to attend. All of that time was lost in California. Once we reached Oregon we lost no additional time, and maybe even made up 10 minutes or so. I'll post a full report when I get home.

------------------
-Mr. Toy

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page