RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Travel » Summer Travel Plans

Author Topic: Summer Travel Plans
lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for lakeshorelimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone have any Amtrak travel planned for the summer?? Please feel free to share your upcoming itineraries!
I'm going:

Sunday 6/24 New Haven-Boston on Acela Express 2290!! First Acela ride... OHHHH YEAH! Returning on the 3:00 pm acela regional business class the same day.. train 164 i believe.

Sometime in July I will finally take the lovely Adirondack route from Albany to Montreal. I was supposed to take this train in March, but we were Ambussed due to a freight derailment.

I'll probably have a few regional trips mixed in on the NEC trains, lakeshore and empire service too.. not sure when though.

Nothing too long distance.. anyone going cross country? Have fun!!

-Tim

Posts: 140 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graynt
Member # 17

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for graynt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do enjoy train travel. This past weekend I flew from BWI to Chicago. I had to use up a Southwest Airline iicket, and took the Cardinal back to DC using the discounted rail sale fare. In a couple of weeks I ll be making a day trip from Harrisburg to Pittsburgh and back, again using a rail sale fare.

In early July I I ll travel from Syracuse to Toronto, take the overnight train to Montreal, then onto Quebec City for a six hour trip.backto Montreal to spend the night,then the Adirondack and back to Syracuse the next day. Thats a trip I ve always wanted to do, and with the devalued Canadian dollar, its quite affordable.

My biggie is late August..DC to Chicago on the Capital Ltd, Chicago to LA on the Texas eagle.LA to Portland on the Starlight, Portland to Bellingham, Wa via the Cascades, backto Seattle, on to Whitefish on the Empire Builder, then on to Chicago and then New Orleans on the City of New Orleans. The Builder and the City of New Orleans use the same trainset, so no worries about a late arrival and making my connection in Chicago. From New Orleans on to Jacksonville, then Fort Lauderdale and back to DC. This trip should take two and a half weeks with stopvers in Portland, Whitefish,New Orleans and Fort Lauderdale, using a sleeper from Chicago to LA and later on from Chicago to New Orleans(the two most economical buys)

Like many of you, I love train travel and enjoy hearing other reports.

Posts: 176 | From: Bloomsburg Pa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're both making me jealous, but I did have a recent outing about a month ago - Halifax to Vancouver - I try to stay away from the rails in the summer - more crowded and expensive. While I was in Montreal, I was told that the Adirondack (sp?) doesn't go any farther than the NY border anymore and that the bus is a permanent fixture between Montreal and the border. The bus was certainly in operation when I went thru Montreal at the end of April.
Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I'm getting cabin fever myself. Except for a couple of trips from Bakersfield to Sacramento, I haven't been anywhere, at least on the train. I did do a 4 night cruise to Mexico last month though. My last rail trip was LA to Portland on the Starlight, Empire Builder to Chicago, Three Rivers to NYC, Twilight Shoreliner to DC & Silver Meteor to Miami. I spent 3 nights in Miami, a 7 day cruise with a group I booked & then Miami to Orlando, 1 night there, Sunset to New Orleans, 2 nights there & then back to LA on the Sunset. 3 weeks on the road & I loved every minute until it was over & had to go back to work. Oh well, gotta pay the bills somehow.
Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for lakeshorelimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure the Adirondack still runs beyond the canadian border. They were bussing for a few days due to a freight derailment, but that was early april. Maybe there's something I don't know about? The Vermonter which runs to Montreal via Vermont has a bus as part of it's permanent feature. I saw a notice about a change in the Adirondack's schedule due to track work near NYP, but nothing about busing!! You could be right though.. I'll find out when I reserve my tickets!
Posts: 140 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
I'm pretty sure the Adirondack still runs beyond the canadian border. They were bussing for a few days due to a freight derailment, but that was early april. Maybe there's something I don't know about? The Vermonter which runs to Montreal via Vermont has a bus as part of it's permanent feature. I saw a notice about a change in the Adirondack's schedule due to track work near NYP, but nothing about busing!! You could be right though.. I'll find out when I reserve my tickets!
DC2001
Member # 542

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC2001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The more I hear about everyone else's Amtrak travel plans, the more determined I am to complete some of my own. My biggest deterrent is that I live in the passenger "train-less" zone of Tennessee - about a five hour drive to the closest stations.
Still, I have considered going to Disney World this summer by City of New Orleans/Sunset from Memphis, or Piedmont/Silver Star from Charlotte. Since I would have to drive the car to the train, anyone know what the parking situation is like at these stations? I'm insecure about leaving my auto parked there for a couple weeks, particularly in "open" lots. Has anyone had problems (theft, vandalism) leaving a car at a major station?
If this trip falls through, I hope to get back to the Northeast this fall to ride Acela. My last train trip was on a Metroliner, and it's just a ten hour drive to Washington (which I did last year just to ride the train)!

Posts: 72 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Burden
Member # 88

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Burden   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could always make an Ambus connection
from Nashville or Chattanooga through to
Atlanta. It's not the most direct route to
FL, but it's an option.

Dave (in Atlanta)

Posts: 73 | From: Unity, NH | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife and I are planning on taking the Southwest Chief from Flagstaff, Arizona (We live in Phoenix, about three hour drive away) to Chicago. We will stay one night in Chicago, then take the Lake Shore Limited to Boston.

We are both high school teachers. My wife is a member of Alpha Delta Kappa, a teacher's sorority. She will attend their convention in Boston. We will return the same way. Our layovers in Chicago makes it so we only have one night in a row on the train. I don't mind two nights in a row, but my wife has never taken a long train ride before, and does not want to spend two nights in a row.

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Konstantin, just one question, why are you traveling the same route roundtrip? There are many options traveling from coast to coast. My summer rush is nearing an end & I'd be glad to help with your plans. I have traveled almost 200,000 miles on Amtrak & VIA Rail & have put together rail tours of up to 16 days with as many as 40 people. Please let me know if I can help with your trip.
Yours Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reggierail

I have travelled several times on Amtrak and know what to expect. My wife has never taken a long distance train ride, so she is a little hesitant about it.

My original plans were to come home by way of the Silver Meteor to Jacksonville, then the Sunset Limited to Tucson.

We realized that it would be too long of a trip. We looked at several other alternatives. My wife does not want to spend more than one night in a row on the train, so we decided to take the shortest route each way.

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's cool. Let's hope this make a train fan out of her.
Reggie

------------------

steve49
Member # 941

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for steve49     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got a trip coming up in a few weeks. The Capitol from San Jose to Emeryville, then the Zephyr to Chicago, the Cardinal to Washington, the Silver Palm round trip from Washington to Fayetteville N.C., then the Crescent to New Orleans and the Sunset to L.A. Finally the Coast Starlight to San Jose. We really enjoy travel by Amtrak and hope to be able to continue trips like this in the future. To all who read this please contact everyone from President Bush, Norm Mineta, and your Senators and Congressperson and explain to them the importance of keeping
Amtrak as a viable national system not a fragmented system serving only small portions of the country. Happy traveling Steve49

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy
Member # 942

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Judy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ijust returned from my first train adventure (land cruise?) west of Chicago. Starting June 28, I traveled Milwaukee - Chicago - Emeryville - Seattle via Hiawatha, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight and Empire Builder. It was great! I had perfect weather; the scenery (especially on the Zephyr going through the Rockies) was spectacular. My only gripes were on the Coast Starlight. The windows in my sleeper, the Pacific Parlour Car and the diner were filthy! Such a contrast to the shiny Zephyr! Results of my informal survey: Best French Toast - California Zephyr.

I take the Lakeshore Limited periodically to Rochester NY to see my grandchildren and plan to be at least 5 hours late. I don't understand how that train can lose so much time when it leaves Chicago right on time.

My next land cruise (probably next summer) may include the Coast Starlight southbound between SF and LA, but those dirty windows give me pause..... I complained on board and I did call and complain after the trip, but no one seemed much interested.

Posts: 25 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Loudon
Member # 902

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Loudon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TBlack:
[B While I was in Montreal, I was told that the Adirondack (sp?) doesn't go any farther than the NY border anymore and that the bus is a permanent fixture between Montreal and the border. [/B]

The current schedule on Amtrak's website, dated July 9th, does not indicate any bus connection. Perhaps you have it confused with the Vermonter ?

Posts: 75 | From: Somerville, NJ USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
giltex
Member # 949

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for giltex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forty-three years since I have ridden an American passanger train, and last week once again I rode the Texas Eagle. For the son of a Cotton Belt conductor who grew up following daddy around on the trains last week's ride was just pure joy. To celebrate our 37th anniversary my wife and I rode the Eagle from Longview, Tx to Ft. Worth, took in a Ranger's ballgame and then back the next day. I was pleasantly suprised at the comfort of the coach and observation car. The car attendant was efficient and friendly. The only point marring my impression of the trip was when the dining car steward made his announcement over the P.A. and introduced himself as "Big Daddy". To me this showed unprofessionalism in a time that Amtrak needs all the best public opinion that is can muster in it's battles with Washington. I can't wait until we retire next summer so I can really work up a good trip like Chicago to SF.
Posts: 1 | From: Gilmer, Tx, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've a small trip planned, and I'll be leaving in several days. My family and I have a few rock concerts we're going to in Albuquerque, so I'm taking the Chief from Flagstaff to that destination. Everyone else is going by car, since we'll need it in ABQ, but I decided to take the train just for the fun of it, and because it's the better way to go!
Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lakeshorelimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope you enjoy your trip, Eric. I did that too when I went with my family to New York. They drove home, I took the train.

In two weeks I go on the Adirondack to Montreal. My plans got pushed back to August! Then I'll take a bus back to Albany and the Lakeshore and NE direct from there to home. It should be my last rail trip of the summer! Oh no!

-Tim

Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Tim! It should be a fun trip. I hope that your trip is also enjoyable! It's great to ride the train just to ride the train!
Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page