RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Travel » travel with a child

Author Topic: travel with a child
BillSuspect
Member # 824

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for BillSuspect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been searching for a rail forum that might be able to answer this question for me... if this isn't appropriate, please forgive.

I'm leaving Houston for Los Angeles on the Sunset Limited this week and my wife and I are bringing our one year old son. We were a little surprised to learn that the cars don't have seatbelts and there is no reccomended method of securing a car seat to the seats on the train. Does anyone have experience of advice in this area? Thanks to the "1st seat - full price, 2nd seat - half price, 3rd seat - free" promotion, my son does have a seat to himslef, but it appears that we'll have no way to put it to good use if we cant find a way to keep his car seat from moving all around.

Bill Grady
Houston

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim
Member # 65

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've traveled a few times with our family - with our daughter at 2 mo, 15 mo, and 18 mo. We've never had a problem. We've never traveled in Superliner coaches (only Amfleet 2 coaches) but I'm sure the seat pitch is the same. You'll have enough room to set up the car seat on the floor against the wall and facing the aisle, if the seat in front of you is not reclined all the way. Even though it's not belted down, it should stay down OK. (We've even set up a travel bassinet between seats like this!) Let your child use this as his seat during the day; at night, either lay him on a blanket on the floor or lay him across two seats (if you have something to restrain him from falling out.) If your concern is safety and want him buckled in for that reason, I would put those fears to rest; train travel is very safe.
By the way, two adults and an infant (or young toddler) can fit in a standard bedroom - we've done it before. The lower berth is wider than the upper and can squeeze an adult and the child in together (provided neither are large; Viewliner sleepers are more of a challenge, however - but we've done that too.) It's a lot better than sleeping in a chair, plus you have the security and peace of mind of having a lockable door so nobody wanders out at night (probably not a problem with a 12-month old). Before dismissing it out of hand as too expensive, remember that meals are included for two occupants of a standard room. Do the math regarding if you plan to eat in the dining car; if so, the room may not be such a bad deal after all.
Bring lots of activities and snacks for the child with you regardless. Juice boxes and Cheerios are a suggestion; the lounge car attendants have always given me cups of ice for free (give them a tip for this anyway if they do it with a smile - I suggest a quarter or so per cup.)
One last suggestion - if the children get noisy when people are trying to sleep, take them to the lounge car immediately so as to not disturb others, especially at night. Your fellow passengers will thank you for this!
Enjoy your trip, and I hope this advice helps. Let me know if I haven't addressed your concern to your satisfaction.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BillSuspect
Member # 824

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BillSuspect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the advice!
Posts: 2 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yummykaz
Member # 475

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for yummykaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
may be to late but here is my suggestion:

I have seen many travel w/ little ones. Mine are now older, 8, 10 and 16. But don't worry about using car seat. Your little one would go nutty sitting in it all day anyway.

The main safety concern we had: walking between cars can be very DANGEROUS! If it is bumpy, their little feet can get eaten up!

We usually team up. I walk through first. Hold door open. Then hubby send kids through to me.I grab them fast.

If you are worried and stilll want to use car seat, hook two or 3 belts together. Then wrap it around seat like a seat belt to hold.

If you can afford it, get a sleeper. They are great for kids!

Becki

PS we have done the Sunset to Disney World from Houston and back twice. Sunset to El Paso and also Cresent to New York from New Orleans. All fun!

This is a great experience for kids. Your little one will be to young to remember, so take lots of pics! And for the sake of others, try and keep kids contained, not screaming etc. I try and keep mine quiet, and hope that others do as well.

Posts: 168 | From: Spring TX USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLC
Member # 58

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yummykaz:

The main safety concern we had: walking between cars can be very DANGEROUS! If it is bumpy, their little feet can get eaten up!

Under NO circumstances should anyone (adult or child) move from one car to the next without having shoes on.

Posts: 62 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page