RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Travel » Las Vegas train

Author Topic: Las Vegas train
rms492
Member # 78

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rms492     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone know when the Las Vegas Limited (Los Angeles to Las Vegas) is suppose to start?
They said late 2000, but seems like they are way behind schedule.
Any info. would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Posts: 38 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last I heard they were doing an environmental study involving the train & the desert turtle whose habitat would be disturbed by the train. Although not as long on hold as the service to portland, Maine, it may be. Totally ridiculous, I worked the train from LA to Salt Lake City back in '92, where was the turtle then? The route's the same.
Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The turtle (tortoise) in question would be impacted by the construction of a parallel 2nd track on the UP on Cima Hill in California. This is between Barstow and the California/Nevada state line. The UP is mostly single track with several sidings, but the large quantity of freight trains would result in delays to the Amtrak train without construction of this second track.
I keep hearing about this tortoise (now with military training exercises, where they have hired a "tortoise spotter") so evidently there is some truth to it.

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page