RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Travel » New Crescent and Sunset Limited routes

Author Topic: New Crescent and Sunset Limited routes
lhrogerss
Member # 96

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lhrogerss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw the announcement on Amtrak's website about the new Crescent and Sunset Limited Routes. This is interesting to me since I'm traveling west in October on the Sunset Limited, but I have to drive from Birmingham to New Orleans to get started.

Does anyone know when Amtrak is going to make this route change? Also, any ideas on what the schedules would be?

I'd love to board in Birmingham for LA and then return from Chicago to Birmingham via Jackson.

Thanks,

Luke

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Burden
Member # 88

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Burden   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt the new Crescent/Sunset routes will be in effect in October. I think Amtrak has a bus route from B'ham to Mobile that connects to the Sunset. That might be an option if the layover isn't that long.

Dave

Posts: 73 | From: Unity, NH | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Crescent will still go to New Orleans, Requiring an overnight there, OK by me. The Sunset will still go from New Orleans To Los Angeles regardless of any route changes. I also doubt if these changes will take place in the next year let alone the next few monthes. Have a great trip. Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mccannt
Member # 123

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mccannt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The new Sunset Limitede route between Houston and El Paso via Dallas and Fort Worth isn't likely to get service until 2002, according to Amtrak's expansion plan. The UP Baird Subdivision -- the former Texas & Pacific line west of Fort Worth -- hasn't had regular passenger service since the late 1960s, and it needs upgrading and well as passenger infrastructure for the stops enroute (Houston-Dallas via College Station and Corsicana had service as recently as the 1990s via a Houston section of the Texas Eagle, so is much easier to renew).

As for the Crescent extension between Meridian, Miss. and Fort Worth (to be called the "Crescent Star", according to Amtrak), this route may appear as early as the Fall 2000 schedule change. A lot depends on which route Amtrak uses west of Shreveport, La. From Meridian to Shreveport, the train will run on the current Kansas City Southern line. West of there, there's still some discussion about whether it will use UP (following the Texas Eagle route west of Longview, Texas) or stay on KCS.

Posts: 7 | From: Gresham, Oregon, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JSChicago
Member # 68

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JSChicago     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mccannt:
The new Sunset Limitede route between Houston and El Paso via Dallas and Fort Worth isn't likely to get service until 2002, according to Amtrak's expansion plan. The UP Baird Subdivision -- the former Texas & Pacific line west of Fort Worth -- hasn't had regular passenger service since the late 1960s, and it needs upgrading and well as passenger infrastructure for the stops enroute (Houston-Dallas via College Station and Corsicana had service as recently as the 1990s via a Houston section of the Texas Eagle, so is much easier to renew).

As for the Crescent extension between Meridian, Miss. and Fort Worth (to be called the "Crescent Star", according to Amtrak), this route may appear as early as the Fall 2000 schedule change. A lot depends on which route Amtrak uses west of Shreveport, La. From Meridian to Shreveport, the train will run on the current Kansas City Southern line. West of there, there's still some discussion about whether it will use UP (following the Texas Eagle route west of Longview, Texas) or stay on KCS.

Posts: 27 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JSChicago
Member # 68

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for JSChicago     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mccannt:

Thanks for the info; I actually had not realized that the Dallas Crescent would be up and running so soon! I assumed it would be another year or two. However, I did know that the Sunset Limited reroute was slated for 2002. That's interesting, that Amtrak is now in a position that they need to CREATE new passenger infrastructure on a line that hadn't had it, rather than destroy it. I am looking forward to see how the "Crescent Star" performs.

Posts: 27 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page