RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Travel » Superliner sleeper question

Author Topic: Superliner sleeper question
daisybumble
Member # 855

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for daisybumble     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's another question:

My husband and I are taking the Capitol Limited round-trip from DC to Chicago in August. To get to/from DC, we are taking a Metroliner from/to Trenton.
Checking in our baggage going to Chicago is not a concern. However, on the way back, we don't want to have to wait for our luggage. We just want to get off the train and catch the next Metroliner headed north. How much room will we have in our Superliner standard sleeper room for baggage? Here's what we'll have with us:
One hard-shell guitar case
One large backpack
One small overnight bag
One medium-sized suitcase OR two small suitcases (the size that you can put in the overhead on an airplane).
This would not be a problem if we were taking the Lake Shore Limited...that has a nice space to stow two small suitcases. But I understand that the Superliner doesn't have as much room. The Amtrak diagrams and even the trainweb descriptions still don't give me an idea of how much storage or floor space is in the standard sleeper room. Help!

Posts: 53 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Space is very tight in the Superliner standard bedroom. If you had all that baggage in the room, you'd have to put it in the upper berth & you'd have to share the lower. There is a large luggage rack on the lower level where you could store all your belongings & just keep a small bag in the room which will fit below the seat. Have a great trip.
Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As Reggie described there is a large luggage rack on the lower level for big pieces like your backpack and guitar case. There is also a hanger rod (or a skinny closet) in the room for garment bags and such.

Now you will probably think I was crazy, but on my last trip on a Superliner Standard Bedroom I actually measured the space under the seats with a little tape measure on my keyring. (Get a life, Mr. Toy!)

The space under each seat is....
9½” tall
23½” wide
26” deep

If your small bags are no more than 9" thick they will easily fit under the seats.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page