RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Travel » Missing connection in Chicago

Author Topic: Missing connection in Chicago
joefamily
Member # 892

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for joefamily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My family and I are taking our first train trip. We will be taking the Texas Eagle to Chicago connecting with the Empire Builder to Seattle. I've noticed the TE is usually late arriving in Chicago, normally after the EB's ETD. This is a guaranteed connection by Amtrak. What action can we expect of Amtrak if we miss our connection?
Posts: 22 | From: Little Rock, AR | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From long experience attempting connections, particularly in Chicago, I strongly recommend that you arrive a day early and stay overnight in Chicago. The current timetable has the Texas Eagle arriving at 12:40 pm, and the Empire Builder departing at 2:10 pm. A ninety minute connection is far too risky. What Amtrak will usually do is put all its passengers (including the first class) on a bus!(to who knows where) in order to make a connection. I recall a few years ago I arrived in Chicago on the Lakeshore Ltd. to connect with the (now deceased) Desert Wind for Las Vegas. Due to a freight derailment, all passengers were being bussed to Omaha--an outrageously long distance. I refused this alternative "transportation" and they agreed to re-route me to Los Angeles on the SW Chief with a connection there to the e/b Desert Wind. In those days, prior to the so-called Satisfaction Guaranteed programme, Amtrak was quite good in compensating their "guests" for extra expenses (such as hotels and meals in my case). Currently all they will offer you is a transportation voucher for a future trip, with so many black-out dates that it is almost worthless. Take my advice and spend the extra money for the hotel in Chicago.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I completely agree with the last reply. Stay overnight in Chicago. Amtrak just sends you on a long bus ride to catch the train. I would never rely on a connection for Amtrak. My mother was nine hours late on the Texas Eagle one time. I would always stay overnight between connections.

My wife and I are travelling from Arizona to Boston, on the Southwest Cheif to Chicago, then the Lake shore Limited to Boston. There are several hours between connections in Chicago, but we are still spending the night in Chicago each direction.

Do not rely on Amtrak. When you travel Amtrak, you are on your own to take care of yourselves. Customer service is absolutely terrible.

Dean

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page