TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Travel » Railtips for NYC and surroundings

Author Topic: Railtips for NYC and surroundings
Member # 1420

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 103     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello overseas,

a few minutes before I booked the flights from germany to NYC Sep. 30th to Ovt. 11th 2002 for two friends and me. Me, a railfan in a plane...but there's no tunnel like between the continent and England.

My forum-name is "103" for remembering a german electro-engine. There are only a few now working on german rails but most of the InterCityTrains I traveled with were pulled of one of these engines. (More you might see on www.103er.de)

Now my questiones:

First
Do you have tips or hints around everything depending with railroads (f.e. nice trips, museums, old railroads, good watching places, so long everything)in or near NYC. Mind, we'll have NO CAR, so everything must be reachable with LIRR, MetroNorth or other suburbans or commuters (are that the correct words for trains around a bigger city) but I'm sure, you'll know what I mean.

Second
Do someone have tips or ideas for accomodation in an appartment or something like a Bed&Breakfast in NYC for 3 middleaged guys (+-40) less than US$100,--.
We'll prefer to safe the money by accomodation and spend it for some good one-day railtrips in the area of NYC.

I'm very hopefull to get some helpfull answers.

And for all of you, watch carefully on Amtrak, fight for it because we'll need it in future days. I was riding Amtrak in 1995 and 1999 in a coach for about 7.000mi (it was wonderfull!!!)and I'll do it again in one of the next years.

Rail-Greetings from Germany from

Posts: 3 | From: Bremen, Germany | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 1420

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 103     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, the correct adress for the 103series must be
www.103er.de
without the ")"

Waiting for a lot of answers

Posts: 3 | From: Bremen, Germany | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Dunham
Member # 924

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Dunham   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I lived in the New York area for quite a while. I'll mention a few of my favorite places: Princeton Jct., New Jersey, and Trenton, New Jersey on the Northeast Corridor mainline. At Princeton Junction you can see the trains at speed, at Trenton you can see them stop. At any Metro-North station from New Rochelle to Stamford you can see the maximum amount of Metro-North trains plus Amtrak.

------------------
Steve Dunham
Literalman@aol.com
http://www.stevedunham.50megs.com/

Posts: 77 | From: Spotsylvania, VA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gct29
Member # 1551

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gct29     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent choice, New York. Best railroad town in the US, in my biased opinion.

Two musts for day trips: Metro-North's Hudson Line and NJTransit/Metro North to Port Jervis.

The Hudson line is considered the most scenic on the East Coast, often compared to rail trips along the Rhine. The best part, however, is the beginning. Trains leave from Grand Central, a crowning jewel of railroad architecture. When boarding the train, be sure to sit on the left side (facing forward) for river views. You may choose to ride all the way to Poughkeepsie (the limit of commuter service - Amtrak goes to Albany/Chicago/Montreal), but if you're interested in a destination, get off at Cold Spring instead. Charming small town with lots of hiking opportunities nearby.

The Port Jervis line is unique among commuter services in that, north of New Jersey, it is almost entirely rural. Along the way are the Moodna Viaduct and the Otisville Tunnel, both impressive pieces of railroad engineering. The trip's departing terminal is impressive too. Hoboken Terminal is the last of the Hudson waterfront terminals still in operation, and has been immaculately restored to its 1907 appearence. It's accessible via PATH subway (not part of New York's system) or by ferry. Be sure to gaze at the Tiffany skylight in the waiting room. As a destination, Port Jervis is only mildly interesting, though it has the remains of a large railyard and some nice architecture in town. I reccomend you grab lunch and return to Hoboken.

Other interesting daytrips include: Long Island Railroad to Montauk, America's longest commuter run at 117 miles (188km); NJTransit's North Jersey Coast Line, serving New Jersey's Atlantic Coast beach towns; the Northeast Corridor to Trenton (and Philadelphia via SEPTA - or just take Amtrak), considered among the best-built railroads in the world.

For a longer trip, Amtrak's Adirondack is a beautiful ride, following the Hudson River to Albany, then hugging the shore of Lake Champlain to the Canadian border. An overnight stay in Montreal is required, but that's a worthy experience too.

Then there's the subways. It is said that there are more different types of subway cars in New York than there are subway systems in North Amreica. This is probably true. All types of right-of-way, as well - underground, at-grade and elevated. There's also a museum in Brooklyn with subway cars dating to 1904. The MTA website (listed below) has further details.

Those are just a few possible trips, the best I can think of. There are plenty more commuter and Amtrak lines out of New York that I'm sure you'll find interesting. I've been in New York more than 20 years and haven't ridden them all.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. I'm always eager to brag about my hometown.

Some useful links:

Metropolitan Transportation Authority (Metro-North, Long Island Railroad and New York City Subways)

New Jersey Transit

Amtrak

SEPTA (Philadelphia commuter system)

[This message has been edited by gct29 (edited 07-10-2002).]

Posts: 51 | From: NY, NY | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 1420

Rate Member
Thank you both for your hints and gct29 be sure I'll be back with some more railquestiones in about a week.

But as a New York habitant, do you have an idea about accomodation in the town cheap, good and save in a way I can give my credit card number to them.

Greetings not from the river Rhine but from the river Weser

gct29
Member # 1551

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gct29     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pardon the delayed response. I only get here about once a week.

If you want a regular hotel room with common amenities, it won't be cheap. Average rates start around $150/night and skyrocket from there.

If saving money is your priority, I'd suggest a hostel. Hostelling International has one on Manhattan's Upper West Side with per-person rates of $27/night. No curfew or age limit. The three of you may be able to get a room to yourselves, though you'd still have to share bathroom facilities with others.

There are other hostels in NY as well. I'm not familiar with any of them, but they're worth looking into.

There are several small hotels in Manhattan with reasonable rates under $100, but determining their safety and livability is difficult to do without first staying there.

If you decide to spend the extra money on a nicer hotel ($125 - $200), I highly recommend that you chose something unique, like the Chelsea or the Hotel Pennsylvania, rather than a bland chain-hotel. Might as well get some character for your money.

Regarding credit card security, most NY hotels and hostels are perfectly safe. As always, be wary of anyplace that looks "too good." If you're in doubt, check with your credit card company. They keep lists of problem establishments. Another trick is to enter the hotel's name into a search engine, and see if anything interesting comes up.

I'm afraid that's about all I know of acommodations in New York, other than that its reputation as an expensive town is well-deserved.

Here are a couple sites that may be of use:

Hostelling International(Also try a Google search on independant hostels)

NYC & Company (Official NY Tourism site with hotel information.)

Hotel Pennsylvania, Hotel Chelsea

Posts: 51 | From: NY, NY | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page