RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Travel » Charleston, SC motel

Author Topic: Charleston, SC motel
Newtimes
Member # 2037

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Newtimes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife and I will be staying in Charleston, SC on Dec. 29. On Dec. 30, we take train 97 to Fort Lauderdale. We return on Jan. 3 and will also require overnite stay in Charleston. Recommendations on motels/hotels near the station is appreciated and any strong recommendations on Charleston. Rail sale fare: $67.20 roundtrip for us both, a great deal and my wife's first train trip.

Posts: 31 | From: Lynchburg, VA, USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife and I had our honeymoon in Charleston. This hotel might not be what you are looking for, as it is quite uncommon. We stayed in the Anchorage Inn. It is a rather fancy hotel, but not as expensive as you would think, right downtown along the Ashley Cooper River. It had 11 rooms at the time. It is in a building that had been built long ago, I think even before the American revolution. We were very happy with it and would love to go back.

While you are there, I would also suggest the you go to Boone Hall Plantation. It is very interesting if you like history.

We found that the trip to Fort Sumter was over commercialized and not nearly as good as we thought it would be.

There are several pictures of our honeymoon on my website. Please feel free to look at them.

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale) www.geocities.com/evrr

[This message has been edited by Konstantin (edited 11-23-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Konstantin (edited 11-23-2002).]

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Newtimes
Member # 2037

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Newtimes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for info on your honeymoon hotel. Boone Hall sounds interesting. I enjoyed seeing our pics too. My first choice for a motel is one near the Charleston station.

Thanks again.

Posts: 31 | From: Lynchburg, VA, USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Newtimes,
Looking in Expedia, the following appear:
Sheraton North Charleston
Courtyard Charleston North
Days Inn- Charleston Airport

The Days Inn actually lists Amtrak in its description; they might have a shuttle from the station.

If Amtrak's web page is correct the station is at 4565 Gaynor Ave, North Charleston 29406 so you can use that if you want to search on your own.

Expedia tends to list chain hotels; if that isn't want you want you might try Auto Club, Mobil Guide, etc. for more unique places like what Konstantin mentioned. Unfortunately lodging listings rarely mention if they are near a train station, so you will have to do some legwork.

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Newtimes
Member # 2037

Rate Member
MPalmer, I also used Expedia to checkout lodding in Charleston. I found a Howard Johnsons less than 2 miles from the station. Thanks for the suggestions. I am hoping some rail fans have stayed overnite near the station with recommendations too.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page