RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Travel » Rail, baseball and Letterman

Author Topic: Rail, baseball and Letterman
Newtimes
Member # 2037

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Newtimes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After returning from Playa del Carmen, Mexico for 6 days on April 5, my rail trip began on April 6 traveling from Washington, DC to Pittsburgh. I had Opening Day tickets for the Pirates. My hometown, Lynchburg, Va. is a Class A affiliate for the Pirates.

On April 6 at 5:35am, I departed on train 180, from WAS to Philadelphia. I was familar with the route as I ridden from Richmond, VA to Philadelphia about 4 weeks prior. The excitement was riding a train rather than the scenery. Union Station is a great station. The cab picked me up at 4:30am so the day started very early. The first things I noticed upon departing DC was the comfort and condition of the rails and the trains ran very closely on time.

I arrived in Philly at 7:30am and then boarded train 43 to Pittsburgh at 8:30am. In all my years of train travel (15), this was by far my most disappointing rail trip.

I was traveling by business class for the first time. The conductor that came on board from Harrisburg to Pittsburgh was apathetic and listless and unhelpful. He did mention Horseshoe Curve (my main reason for taking this trip) and gave a short narrative of the project. It was my saving grace on this leg.

I have found if the conductor is weak or lazy, so are the other staff on trains. The lounge attendant almost always was lounging in the lounge and not at his station. It flet like a hassle to him to have to get up to service the customers. And I am playing first class for this?

I walked through the train to stretch my legs and saw the conductor sleeping. As a rail fan, I can overlook it but this is why others can have a low opinion of a governemnt subsidized transportation system.

The tracks in and around Harrisburg are the roughest I have ever traveled on. The train literally rocks from the condition of the rails. For at least 45 minutes, we lumbered rocking from side to side.

Pittsburgh was a very modest and older station. The Ramada Conference Inn was $99 per nite and only a 5 block walk. Very nice facility and highly recommended. This is where the Amtrak staff stay as I rode the van to the station with them on April 7.

Unfortunately, the Pirate game was rained out so I went to the hotel lounge and watched the NCAA final game. I made the best out of a situation.

Returning back to Philadelphia the next morning (Pillies vs. Braves on April 7th) was even worse. The lounge attendant was rude and I am in business class. He refused to use any politeness. No "Hi", "May I help you", or "hello". It was a blank stare with a glazed look. He would raise his eyebrows as his way to address me.

After two trips to his station and two eyebrow lifts, I asked him what the eyebrow lift was and he said, "how can I help you" and I said, "thanks, that is a lot better". He then smirked and said "ah man" and walked away not serving me. I was pissed. This is not about an Uncle Tom attitude (he was black and I am white), this is about someone being in a service position and resenting his job, and me. I departed saying, "I did not mean to bother you".

I went back to my seat and got a fellow passenger to go up and get me a breakfast croissant and tuna luncheon. I thought I had better get both meals since I was on the train for another 5 hours. I did not want to interact with him anymore and I was fuming all the way to Philadelpia.

At Philly, I did go into the Amtrak Customer Service and verbalized a complaint about both legs of the trip (PHL-PGH). It was really poor. I mentioned the sleeping conductor and the lounge attendants attitudes.

Fortunately, the trip was great from this point forward. Next, Phillies vs. Braves and David Letterman. Jim Thome and more later today.

Posts: 31 | From: Lynchburg, VA, USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've found that the crews manning the trains that pass through Pennsylvania (the Three Rivers and the Chicago-to-Philly version of the Pennsylvanian) have never ranked among Amtrak's best. Maybe it's something in the water supply.

More often than not, I've found them to be lazy, sullen, and sometimes downright nasty -- which I've always considered highly entertaining, though I realize that some passengers might not be so easily amused.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coachclass
Member # 2382

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coachclass   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is too bad about the service you had through Pennsylvania. I have travelled on the Three Rivers west of Pittsburgh to Chicago on several occasions and have had very good service from two crews that have several younger energetic car attendants and conductors. They have been friendly, quick to offer supplies and pillows and very professional. I think this is very much a funciton of who is in charge of the crew on a given trip, if they have a good attitude about customer service, then the rest of their crew will as well.
Posts: 78 | From: Des Moines, IA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page