RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Travel » How to get 2 coach seats next to eachother?

Author Topic: How to get 2 coach seats next to eachother?
northern gal
Member # 147

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for northern gal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Leaving soon on the Southwest Chief. How do I make sure my husband and I are seated together for the long trip out west, departing Chicago?

I understand coach seating is first come first serve...

Thanks for any tips you can give me

Posts: 5 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some seats are usually saved for couples & some seats for families. If you arrive a little early & are ready to board when they make the first call you should have no problem. Early boarding is made for sleeper passengers & those needing assistance. If you get a red cap to bring your bags to the train for you you may get to ride with him also, assuring early boarding. Yours Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
northern gal
Member # 147

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for northern gal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Thanks Reggie for the tips...I've heard that sometimes you can't get coach seats together and that is bothering me to think I have to go two days on the train away from my husband, when this trip is for the two of us....

Will make sure to in line as early as possible...did first class last time and it was so much easier having our own room and boarding first. But costs made us go coach this time, so will have to learn something new

Posts: 5 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ed Von Nordeck
Member # 130

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Ed Von Nordeck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boarding at a end point, such as Chicgo you will have no problem. Its the downline points that give you fits sometimes.

However the suggestion to engauge a Red Cap is the best way in Chicago. Its worth $5.00 bucks or so to have them take your bags and you out to the train ahead of the normal boarding. Being coach passenger you may have to ask more then one, since they are only use to sleeper passengers asking for the service and willing to pay. have some money in your hand when asking.

------------------
Ed Von Nordeck

Posts: 9 | From: Riverside California | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good point Ed. Having some green in hand seems to go a long way everywhere nowadays. Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheri
Member # 25

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Sheri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I traveled this year on the SW Chief & Lake Shore Limited, roundtrip from CA - PA. If you get in line early, it shouldn't be a problem to get two seats together. From my experience, when you board, they give you a ticket with a seat # on it. If both of you board at the same time, you should get the two seats together. Let them know you are together and that you wish to be seated together. Also, I saw that those who didn't like their seats were able to request a change. Nothing is set in stone. Good luck and don't worry! Everything will work out okay. Take care and tell us all about your trip when you get back.
Posts: 16 | From: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really wouldn't worry about sitting together on the South West Chief. The crew is based in Los Angeles & are generally very friendly. They will get you 2 seats together, I'm sure. Have a great trip. Reggie

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page