RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Travel » VIA Chaleur

Author Topic: VIA Chaleur
JoeRids1
Member # 152

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for JoeRids1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am taking a round-trip next weekend on VIA Rail's Chaleur from St. Lambert to Gaspe, Quebec in a lower berth. Can anyone give me any information as to what I can expect, i.e dining services, scenery, on-board atmosphere, sleepers, things to do during the layover in Gaspe, etc.? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
Posts: 5 | From: Poughkeepsie, NY, US | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David
Member # 3

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for David     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was hoping that someone who had taken the "Chaleur" recently would respond. It has been several years since I have ridden that route beyond Matapedia, but last month we took the "Ocean" round trip between Montreal and Halifax. You probably know that the "Chaleur" and "Ocean" are combined between Montreal and Matapedia.

At this time of year, the trains are so long that they must be boarded on two tracks at Montreal and combined just before departure. On our last two trips this meant a late departure; last month's trip saw a 50 minute late departure. The combined train will need to make three stops at many stations. There were a total of 24 cars behind three F40 locomotives on my last run.

On the "Chaleur" there were three sleepers at the front of the train, a full dining car, a Skyline dome car and two coaches. There was a separate baggage car. The train is not turned at Gaspe, so the sleepers will be at the end for the return trip until Matapedia, where the consist will be spliced in behind the baggage car. It is my understanding that the menu in the "Chaleur" diner is more extensive than in the "Ocean" diner because of some arrangement between Via and a big tour company. I hope someone who has taken this trip recently will give you more information.

Have a great trip. Regards, David

Posts: 216 | From: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JSChicago
Member # 68

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for JSChicago     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JoeRids1:
I am taking a round-trip next weekend on VIA Rail's Chaleur from St. Lambert to Gaspe, Quebec in a lower berth. Can anyone give me any information as to what I can expect, i.e dining services, scenery, on-board atmosphere, sleepers, things to do during the layover in Gaspe, etc.? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

I actually do not know that much about the Chaleur train itself, but I have heard that the Gaspe peninsula is truly magnificent, one of the best scenic areas in Canada outside of the Rockies. Good choice; hope your trip is great!

------------------
Peace,

Jack S.
Chicago, IL

Posts: 27 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eastern Canada in October is one of my favorite places. I usually run a rail tour this time of the year but because of switching travel agencies I was ubable to put one together this year. You will have a marvelous trip. Please post a report when you return. Thanks Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page