RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Travel » leaving soon on SW Chief, anything I should know...

Author Topic: leaving soon on SW Chief, anything I should know...
northern gal
Member # 147

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for northern gal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

As my trip approaches in the next couple of weeks, was wondering if there was any news or information about the Southwest Chief I should know about before departing. Hate to have any surprises on my vacation. Leaving out of Chicago to Flagstaff.

Thank you for the updates!

Posts: 5 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheri
Member # 25

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Sheri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Northern Gal,
I would suggest bringing a small pillow and blanket. Makes the long trip a lot more comfortable. It does get pretty chilly at night on the train. Bring stuff to keep you occupied, like a book, playing cards, etc. There is a lounge car where you can get a great view of the scenery. When they stop in Albuquerque, New Mexico a tour guide will board and give info about the land. Get in there early, the seats fill up quickly. I didn't care much for the food in the dining car, breakfast was one of the better meals they served though. That is just my opinion, you and others may feel differently. They also have a cafe car where you can get snacks, drinks and many food items. There is a stop in Albuquerque, New Mexico where you can get out for about 15-20 minutes. The locals have stands set up where they sell jewelry. They also have a snack car set up where they sell the best homemade "southwest burritos" and they are very reasonably priced, along with many other snacks and drinks. Get one of the burritos! I hope you have a wonderful trip. If you have anymore questions that I can help you with, feel free to e-mail me at sheribaby7@ivillage.com
Take care.
-Sheri

Posts: 16 | From: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheri
Member # 25

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
P.S. Don't expect to arrive exactly on time. It could happen that you do get there on time, but from my experience, they were always a bit late upon arriving (about 1-2 hours). Take care.
-Sheri

Posts: 16 | From: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page