RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Travel » Skyline Connection

Author Topic: Skyline Connection
John Toth
Member # 20

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Toth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone heard when the Skyline Connection service will initiate ? It keeps getting "postponed."

Am I correct in presuming it is because of the limited number of sleeping cars available?

Evidently, there is supposed to be a Viewliner sleeper in the consist. I know the number of these cars is extremely limited. Is Amtrak looking to purchase one for that train , or "steal" one from an existing train ?

I agree with a comment that I have heard numerous times related to Amtrak: Amtrak SHOULD NOT make an announcement about new trains or service until they are READY to initiate, definitely.

Posts: 17 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't heard a whisper about the skyline connection. I'll be traveling back to NYC in early October & would love to ride the train then. Maybe they are taking a sleeper off the Late Shore Ltd. as sleeper space is real tight on that train through at least mid October. Yours Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JSChicago
Member # 68

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for JSChicago     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I also hate the way Amtrak always seems to count its chickens before they hatch. This is bad publicity and bad business (Acela Express was/is a case in point.) Amtrak should only make announcements about new services when they have ALL THE PIECES IN PLACE. Who knows what could go wrong at the last minute! What is so ironic is that on Amtrak's Three Rivers/Pennsylvanian timetable, the Skyliner is listed just like the other two. Only a small-print footnote tells you that "service will commence at a date To Be Announced." It really annoys me.

Also, speaking of Acela Express: What is the latest word on a possible starting date?

------------------
Peace,

Jack S.
Chicago, IL

Posts: 27 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Service to commence on a date to be announced" seems to be Amtrak's new motto. We have the Skyline, we have the (now postponed) "Texas Crescent" (or whatever), we have the Fond du Lac train, etc., etc.

On a brighter note, although Amtrak has yet to make any formal announcement, it appears that the first Acela Express will begin operation with the Oct. 29 schedule change. Initially, one round trip per day will operate between Washington and Boston. Rumor has it that it will be an 0530 WAS departure, replacing the early Metroliner, and a 1700 departure from Boston.

There is also a rumor today that FRA has approved the Acela Express equipment for 150 mph operation, with some restrictions. So maybe we'll really get the service on the 29th of next month.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also heard the Acela Express should be runnung by Late October. The first runs may simply replace existing services on a catch as catch can basis. Look for some fare promotions also. It is true the FRA has approved all 10 train sets for speeds up to 150, with restrictions on curves at 130. I'll be looking for them on my trip in mid Oct. to New york & D.C. Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ed Von Nordeck
Member # 130

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ed Von Nordeck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Skyline connection will start when amtrak has sufficient express that they need the train.
That could be soon, since the Christmas parcel business will soon start.

Posts: 9 | From: Riverside California | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page