RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Travel » Empire Builder

Author Topic: Empire Builder
MJA
Member # 13

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MJA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband and I are thinking about taking a round trip on the Empire Builder in early or mid December to take advantage of the 30% off sale. Since the trip itself is the most important part of the vacation for us, we’re flexible on the destination - either Seattle or Portland. We’ll probably only stay a day or two before heading back. Does anyone have an opinion on which city would be the most interesting? Any suggestions for hotels or sightseeing? How is the weather out there this time of year? We’d appreciate any advice. Thanks!

We took the Zephyr one way in August and loved it. We’re hooked on trains now and will probably be suckered in by every Amtrak promotion that comes along!
MJ

Posts: 16 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not do both. I would suggest the EB to Portland, day train to Seattle & return on the EB from Seattle. You could then spend time in both cities. I really love the Pacific Northwest & could think of many advantages to stay ing in either city. You could even consider a day trip to Vancouver or Victoria from Seattle. Yours Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the dining car is on the Seattle to Spokane portion of this train. That might make a difference in your enjoyment of the trip.
Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good point & that's why I suggest East bound from Seattle to take advantage of the diner for the dinner meal. I have traveled the EB to & from Portland several times & the cold meal service offered in the sleepers is excellent. I was totally surprised. My last trip in April was Portland to Chicago & the meal consisted of either chicken or sirloin. It came with a salad, rolls, condiments & dessert. It was packaged very nicely & there were extra meals on board for anyone wanting them. Yours Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ed Von Nordeck
Member # 130

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ed Von Nordeck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The scenery on the westbound train into Portland is right along the Columbia River.
Outstanding.

Both Portland and Seattle provide free transit downtown. Take advantage of it.

In Portland the Mallory Hotel provides free shuttle to/from Amtrak, but only when you use "Radio" Taxi company. A nice remodeled older hotel and is right on the light rail line.

In Seattle the Pacific Plaza is in a good downtown location. No free transfers in Seattle for any hotel, but its only a seven block or so taxi ride.

A hotel about 3 blocks from station but more money is the Best Western Pionerr Square Hotel.

Better reserve the train now to obtain space.

Posts: 9 | From: Riverside California | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MJA
Member # 13

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MJA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks TBlack, Reggie, and Ed for your feedback. That's just the kind of information I was hoping to get.

MJ

Posts: 16 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gin
Member # 99

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for gin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thought you'd like to know we stayed one night at Pacific Plaza and that was quite enough. I found it thru the web; both price and location were fine. Unfortunately it was a really warm night in Seattle and guess what? No air conditioning and in a very small room!! It was truly "sleepless in Seattle" Talked to others and we were not the only ones checking out early. Hope this helps.
Gin

Posts: 4 | From: Grahamsville, NY USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
A nice place in Portland where I book many clients is the Travelodge Convention Center. In Seattle the Seattle Inn is a nice place at a good price, Both places have air & heat if needed. Both are under $80 a night last time I checked. Reggie

------------------

[This message has been edited by reggierail (edited 09-29-2000).]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page