RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Travel » Part 2 West on Lake Shore & SW Chief

Author Topic: Part 2 West on Lake Shore & SW Chief
Sheri
Member # 25

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Sheri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know it's been a while but here's part 2 of my roundtrip (west on Lake Shore & SW Chief).

Erie, Pa.
Train was running over an hour late. Arrived into Chicago late as well. Once I got to Chicago, I thought I'd go explore ouside the station for a while since I still had about an hour and a half until my next train. Sears Tower is just a block or two away from the station. Thought I'd go up and see the sights, but unfortunately, there was an hour wait just to get up there. By this time, I only had an hour before I had to be back at the station. I was bummed about that. It was a beautiful clear day, it was nice just to get out and walk around.

Chicago, Ill.
The train pretty much left on time out of Chicago. Although, I still arrived into California a couple hours late. Once again, I met many nice people. Had breakfast in the dining car. Made our stop at Alburquerque, NM. Got one of those homemade southwest burritos. Bought a pair of earrings from the locals. Should you go through Alburquerque, take the time to try one of the homemade burritos that the locals sell. They are the best. Beats anything I had on the train. The locals also have a bunch of stands set up where they sell jewelry. My seat mate was a very nice man named Jim. He was coming from MI to go visit relatives in CA. We found lots to talk about. I slept in the lounge one night so I could try to stretch out. There were a bunch of boy scouts, so it really wasn't a quiet restful night. The next night I just slept in my coach seat and I was actually able to get pretty comfortable. Guess you just learn after a while. Overall, I had a very good time. I enjoyed my roundtrip adventure on the train. I plan to do more train traveling in the future. If anyone has any questions feel free to e-mail me at sheribaby7@ivillage.com
Take care.
-Sheri in L.A. CA

Posts: 16 | From: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm heading to Chicago from the Bay area on the 8th of October, then on to New York on the Three Rivers. If the trains are on time I should get about 5 hours in Chicago. I'm going to try & do the Sears Tower also. I should have a trip report when I return late October. BTW I used to live in Albuquerque & you are right on the money about the stopover at the station there. Yours Reggie

------------------

[This message has been edited by reggierail (edited 10-02-2000).]

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheri
Member # 25

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Sheri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Reggie,
Enjoy your trip. I know you will! I hope it is a beautiful, clear day when you get to Chicago. Maybe you could take some pictures from the top of The Sears Tower and e-mail them to me. I wish I would have gotten the chance to go up, but both ways my train was running late. Maybe I'll get to do it next year. Take care and tell us all about it when you get back.

Posts: 16 | From: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page