RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Travel » Planning a multi-leg trip

Author Topic: Planning a multi-leg trip
mikemeg
Member # 204

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mikemeg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pardon the vagueness. I'm in the very early stages of planning a trip next year for my family (me, wife, 4-year-old daughter). Our home is outside DC.

Main goals: travel by train, not cost an insane amount, see some Western scenery (US or Canadian), stop at several cities to experience different environments (sort of the European tourist approach).

My early probings indicate that perhaps Amtrak's US/Canada 15 or 30-day pass is the best economically. It requires travel in both countries. I thought we might fly to SF, train to Vancouver, across Southern Canada, through NY to DC. Visit Seattle, Vancouver, Banff(?), Toronto, Montreal.

First, any advice on general route? Is there another approach that gets me more bang for the buck?

Second, are there any difficulties with the multi-leg approach? Will we run into problems getting around cities from the stations, booking the legs, etc.? We're not averse to renting a car if there's a stunning attraction nearby.

Thanks for ANY comments or suggestions.

Posts: 2 | From: Arlington, VA USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mccannt
Member # 123

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mccannt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could plan a all-rail circle trip!

How about Chicago-Washington on the "Capitol Limited; Chicago-Sacramento on the "California Zephyr" (or Chicago-Los Angeles on the "Southwest Chief"); L.A.-Seattle (or Sacramento-Seattle) on the Coast Starlight"; Seattle-Vancouver on the "Cascades"; Vancouver-Toronto on the "Canadian"; Toronto-New York City on the "Maple Leaf; and New York-Washington on the "Acela Express".

Some possible highlights: Sears Tower and the Loop in Chicago; California State Railroad Museum in Sacramento; Space Needle in Seattle; the Canadian Rockies on the "Canadian" route; CN
Tower in Toronto; Niagara Falls (on the "Maple Leaf" route).

You can go to the Amtrak web site and set up this entire itinerary.

Posts: 7 | From: Gresham, Oregon, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JSChicago
Member # 68

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JSChicago     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of all, have a great trip and best of luck with delays! Here are my comments and suggestions:

(quote)

Main goals: travel by train, not cost an insane amount, see some Western scenery (US or Canadian), stop at several cities to experience different environments (sort of the European tourist approach).

(unquote)

Sounds like a great idea! There is one big way to avoid paying "insane amounts" and that is to travel in coach. Booking a trip that long with sleeping cars will probably cost lots of money, especially considering that you are flying to SF in the first place, a pretty big expenditure. I found out when trying to get our family to DC and back from Chicago that we had to go coach because sleeping cars would cost so much, and that is a much shorter journey than what you're attempting!
You also might investigate traveling by "berth" on the trans-Canada route; this might be inexpensive enough but also a comfortable place to sleep. See www.viarail.ca, VIA Canada's web site. Coach seats are very comfy too but still, it's sleeping in a chair. Another way to save money (on the U.S. part of the trip) is to travel in the spring or fall when Amtrak gives HUGE discounts on coach.
As for stopping in cities, sounds like a good idea; when my family drives faraway for vacations I always want to stop in the cities we pass through and check them out.

(quote)

My early probings indicate that perhaps Amtrak's US/Canada 15 or 30-day pass is the best economically. It requires travel in both countries. I thought we might fly to SF, train to Vancouver, across Southern Canada, through NY to DC. Visit Seattle, Vancouver, Banff(?), Toronto, Montreal.

(unquote)

Sounds like a great itinerary, it should be lots of fun. I agree with mccannt that you could go to SF by train if you wished so. However, my personal opinion is not to take the Maple Leaf directly to NYC as suggested by mccannt but to go with your original idea of going via Montreal. This way you see Montreal, which is a really cool place, but also you get to go from Montreal to Albany through the Adirondack Mountains, which is considered one of the tip-top scenic train journeys in North America. I have never traveled this route, but I've heard rave reviews everywhere.

(quote)

First, any advice on general route? Is there another approach that gets me more bang for the buck?

(unquote)

The route you are talking about gets you a LOT of bang for your buck already because you are on Canadian rails most of the time (all except for SF-Vancouver and Montreal-DC.) Canadian train travel is cheaper than Amtrak in general but has better scenery and friendlier service, from what I have heard.

(quote)

Second, are there any difficulties with the multi-leg approach? Will we run into problems getting around cities from the stations, booking the legs, etc.? We're not averse to renting a car if there's a stunning attraction nearby.

(unquote)

Booking legs and getting around should go fine. The only major problem with multi leg trips I can think of is missed connections. Don't schedule any connection between two trains with less than four hours of leeway!! This is especially true if the first of the two is a long distance run. If the first train is delayed longer than the connection time, which often happens, you will miss your connection and it is not pleasant, believe me.

(quote)

(unquote)

You're welcome! Hope all this helps.

------------------
Peace,

Jack S.
Chicago, IL

Posts: 27 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
northern gal
Member # 147

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for northern gal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...if you plan this trip, make sure you have plenty of things for your 4 yr old to do. The children I've encountered on trains are bored and restless, running up and down the aisles, screaming and yelling...

Some passengers are very good about controlling their children and bring things to keep them amused. There is very little for children to do on the trains and they get bored very fast.

Also, I agree on the missed connections. Give yourself alot of leeway where they are concerned. You don't want to be worrying about making them when you're suppose to be relaxing. The trains always seem to run late, even though they pad in extra time on the schedules. Freight traffic always comes first and makes Amtrak run late.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
budd
Member # 97

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for budd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mikemeg:
Pardon the vagueness. I'm in the very early stages of planning a trip next year for my family (me, wife, 4-year-old daughter). Our home is outside DC.

I made up a nice package for myself next May. Trans-Canada, i.e., Syracuse to Toronto to Vancouver and return. Then after a 3 day respite to do the laundry, Syracuse to Montreal and return for under $1,200 US. I have a single bedroom on the "Canadian". This is with the NA Railpass, which by the way is going up in price. Be advised this price is off-peak. Peak would be about $700 more. For your Railpass part of the trip, I would not recommend using AMTK, but contact VIA rail at their Moncton, NB office. 1 (800) 561-3949. I spoke with Mr. Norm Murphy. The Canadian folks have it all over the AMTK staff for knowledge and pleasentness. This is from experience.

Posts: 14 | From: Auburn, NY USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemeg
Member # 204

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mikemeg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to all for your comments and info.

It seems an incredibly daunting task, and is looking less and less likely now. The 4-year-old aspect isn't the catch (she's an excellent traveller)... it's the logistics.

Every few months I have a new idea for a train trip, and they have invariably not panned out. The reasons are the tradeoffs one is forced to make:

1) You're either paying a ton of money for sleeping accomodations or you're sleeping in seats. You could sleep in hotels, but...
2) visiting at cities along the way is complicated by the lack of regularity in the schedule and the lack of services at the stations.
3) The infrequency of trains makes for awkward arrival times and makes planning very difficult.
4) And if it doesn't make sense to stop off at intermediate cities, you're looking at an awful lot of the same thing (granted, with changing scenery).
5) Triple the stress of the above when you're talking about a family of 3.

Every time, I've ended up having huge difficulty planning a workable trip. When I can figure out a way to fit the pieces together, I find that I am comparing an expensive, exceptionally awkward train itinerary with almost no chance to actually experience the environs, to a cheap, fast airplane ride, comfortable hotels, and unlimited time at destinations experiencing the local areas.

It's intensely frustrating-- of all my acquaintances, I am the most amenable to train travel. I do have a decent travel budget, I adore railroads, and I'm not terribly "type A". If I can't make it work, I'm amazed that Amtrak can project profitability in our lifetimes.

Again, thanks for the input.

Posts: 2 | From: Arlington, VA USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim
Member # 65

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not plan a shorter trip then? From Washington, there's lots of options, and you can go coach during daylight hours. For example, Capitol Ltd. to Pittsburgh in coach, stay overnight in a Pittsburgh hotel, then take the Pennsylvanian the rest of the way to Chicago. (And visit the museum of Science and Industry, where you can "ride" the first stainless steel streamliner, the "Pioneer Zephyr!") No need for sleepers or sleeping in seats. (Return is the same, or return on the Cardinal for scenery through the New River Gorge, but you'd be on the train overnight. Of course, it might be worthwile traveling ina sleeper for one night only...) Another option is Florida: Silver Palm to Charleston, stay overnight, Silver Meteor to Orlando or Miami. Again, all daylight on the train, so no need to sleep in seats. (Granted, the scenery to Florida isn't exactly spectacular. But your toddler would definitely enjoy the destination.) I would recommend against an extended train trip until you are certain your family is ready for it, but a couple of shorter trips like this may be a good way to test the waters.
Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a travel agent specializing in rail travel & tours i agree with Jim about testing the waters with a shorter trip to start out with. As far as the North American rail pass is concerned I have seen a lot of problems with it in many different aspects, especially when booking sleepers. It would also not be cost efficient if you were to fly to San francisco. I've got many other ideas & you can contact me with any questions & I will try & help you any way I can. Yours Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page