RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Travel » Amtrak to the Redwoods?

Author Topic: Amtrak to the Redwoods?
Sheri
Member # 25

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Sheri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Everyone!
My boyfriend and I live in Southern CA and we would like to take a trip to the Redwoods in Northern CA. Does anyone know if there is an Amtrak Station close by to the Redwoods. What would be the closest station and how far is it from the Redwoods? Also, what about a hotel/motel in that area? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
-Sheri

Posts: 16 | From: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JSChicago
Member # 68

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JSChicago     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After perusing amtrak.com, I was able to figure out that the closest Amtrak station to the Redwoods (I assume you mean Redwoods N.P. on the northern CA coast) is in Redding, CA. However, that would mean a 2:45 AM! arrival on the Coast Starlight followed by a four and a half hour drive, in a rental car, to the park. Not exactly fun. I would recommend taking the Starlight from LA (9:30 AM) to Martinez (10:30 PM), staying overnight there, and then catching the 10:10 AM Thruway bus to Arcata, which arrives there at 4:30 PM. Arcata is 35 mi from the park. Finding a motel should be easy in that area, I think.

Good luck, and have a great trip! Hope this all helped.

------------------
Peace,

Jack S.
Chicago, IL

Posts: 27 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheri
Member # 25

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info Jack! We didn't have our hearts set on the Redwoods. So, as far as the train ride goes, I think we'll choose another destination. Thanks again for you time and effort.
-Sheri

Posts: 16 | From: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GP25
Member # 158

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for GP25   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Shari. Have you look into taking the San Joaquin Route to the Redwoods? I have a timetable on the San Joaquin. Note: You only have one train to catch. Train 713. Also You will have to take one Bus from Los Angeles which leaves LA at 7:20 AM and will arrive in Bakersfield at 9:35 AM. This Bus will connect you will Train #713 At Bakersfield. The Train Leaves Bakersfield at 9:50 AM. It will take you to Martinez and get there at or around 3:03 PM. Then you would have to make a second Transfer to another Bus At Martinez. The Bus leaves Martnez at 3:15 PM.
Now this Bus goes thru the Redwoods Valley.
Make Note. You have to make Reservations for the San Joaquin Route. And you can catch the San Joaquin Bus At Los Angeles, Glendale, Burbank Airport, Van Nuys Amtrak, Van Nuys Flyway Bus Terminal, Newhall Metrolink Station, Palmdale, Lancaster and also you can catch the Thruway Bus in the Inland Empire and Pomona Valley. You Have to call Amtrak at 1-800-USA-RAIL and or go to their Web Site At www.amtrak.com to find the nearest Bus Stop is to you. I hope this can help you

Posts: 40 | From: Tarzana, CA-USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheri
Member # 25

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GP25,
Thank you for all the info. We're not much for the bus part of it. We could always just drive to the Redwoods ourselves anyway. So I think we'll plan another destination where we can take the train all the way through. Take care.
-Sheri

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page