RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Travel » Ideas for trips?

Author Topic: Ideas for trips?
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I'm looking to travel around the US by train sometime in Jan, Feb, or Mar for 2 weeks with a USA Rail Pass. I have done this a few times before and have got a number of trains left that I haven't travelled on. What I want to do is to prioritize those most interesting - and feasible within 2 weeks!

These are the trains I have yet to travel on, or wish to travel on again:

1. Texas Eagle (pref. east/northbound)
2. Empire Builder (Portland segment)
3. Coast Starlight (LA - SFO)
4. Vermonter
5. Montrealer (?)
6. Pennsylvanian
7. Lake Shore Ltd
8. NEC: NYP - Boston
9. California Zephyr (westbound this time)
10. *Possibly* Silver service NYP<->Miami

Is the north east covered in snow in Jan/Feb/Mar? If so, does it affect trains much?

So, any ideas for a trip that is worth doing at this time of year?

Thanks

Geoff Mayo.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Toth
Member # 20

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Toth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Geoff:

I have traveled over most of the routes you want to consider , and thus can answer any questions you might have regarding them.

The route of the Zephyr is one of my very favorites---either direction. The train is scheduled so that most of the spectacular scenery is available during daylight hours, which is nice. So I would suggest that route for ANY time of year. It is especially beautiful during the winter months. The train is usually not effected very much by the snow, as a huge snow-plow is available to clear the tracks.

I also enjoy the Portland segment of the Empire Builder. The trip thru the Columbia River Gorge is spectacular. BUT, you want to be careful what the time of year is ! During January or February (and Standard Time in general) you want to go WESTBOUND through the gorge to Portland, because the schedule places the train there during DAYLIGHT hours. Eastbound during the winter months, it would be totally DARK thru the gorge and you would miss everything.

I am not too crazy about the route of the Eagle from LA to San Antonio. Most of the scenery is similar in nature.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to e-mail me directly. I would be delighted to offer you more info.

Regards, JOHN

Posts: 17 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JSChicago
Member # 68

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JSChicago     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of all, the northern U.S. is indeed covered in snow through February, but it does not hinder trains and actually makes the route more scenic many times. The only disadvantage of traveling then I can think of is the shorter daylight hours and more missed scenery. If you care about this, travel in March rather than January.

And, a possible trip idea (I assume you are starting in New York, but this is circular in nature so you could start at any point):

Vermonter up to Burlington and back to New Haven
Local NEC train to Boston
Lake Shore Limited to Chicago
Zephyr to San Francisco, Coast Starlight to LA, Eagle back to Chicago
Pennsylvanian (or 3 Rivers) back to New York via Philly

This would probably fit within the two week limit, and would cover all of your routes of interest except the Empire Builder and Silver service. The entire trip is supposed to be scenic except the Lake Shore Limited and short NEC portion.

How much does the USA Rail Pass cost, out of curiosity?

Good luck and hope all this helped you!

------------------
Peace,

Jack S.
Chicago, IL

Posts: 27 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the replies. I had forgotten about the lack of daylight in the winter months! As for price, $295 gets you a 15-day, off peak, national pass. Have a look at http://www.railroadinfo.com/news99/amtk_99/AMTK_990806.html for full details.

Thanks

Geoff.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jack S. put together a good itinerary for you. One change I'd make is from Sacramento to Portland or Seattle on the Starlight as the scenery from Klamath Falls through the Cascades is awesome. From Seattle or Portland take the Empire Builder to Chicago. Glacier Park in the winter is spectacular. Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page