RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Travel » Late trains

Author Topic: Late trains
Thunderfoot
Member # 265

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thunderfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First off, this disclaimer: I really do love riding the rails, and Amtrak is definitely my preferred form of public transportation.

Having said that, however, my major complaint with Amtrak is late trains. Not lateness per se, but the fact that the company seems to have no contingency plans whatsoever to deal with problems when they arise.

Case study: I was recently scheduled to leave from Chicago on the eastbound Lakeshore Ltd, departure time 7:00 PM. Because of snow in the east, the westbound Lakeshore was almost seven hours late arriving in Chicago, thus postponing the departure of my train til 11:00 PM. Amtrak claimed that the same equipment had to be used for both the west and eastbound trains, and it would take five hours to get the incoming train "ready" for its departure to the east.

Huh?? Five hours?? To refuel, restock the diner, and maybe do a little housekeeping? And when the company knew that the westbound train would be that late, why couldn't they simply assemble new equipment, or at least new engines, in Chicago? At a major hub like that, at least some replacement equipment must have been available.

When we finally did leave the station, we sat in the Chicago yard for over an hour, waiting for a green light, or so we were told.

Seems to me that with a little advance planning, coupled with a modicum of hustle, these delays could be shortened, or even avoided altogether. But the attitude of Amtrak personnel generally ranges between apathetic and more apathetic.

I've had similar experiences on other train trips with delays and lateness, problems which seemed eminently avoidable.

What does the board think?

Posts: 4 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim
Member # 65

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hear, Hear! Late trains are frequent enough that Amtrak personnel should be able to handle these situations like clockwork! Personnel should know about connections, who will make them and who won't, and what passengers making connections need to do. The on-board staff needs to be properly trained about how to answer these questions as well as up-to-the-minute information about what is happening at the destination. Also, when a late train causes passengers to be aboard for one more meal period than is scheduled, then they should plan to have food available to the passengers! (On our most recent trip, a very very late northbound Silver Meteor, scheduled into NYC in mid-morning, arrived in late afternoon. The lounge and dining car had no food, and despite the fact that we arrived in Washington at lunchtime they did not put extra food on the train there (where Amtrak maintains a commissary to serve the NE corridor, Cardinal, and Capitol Ltd.) We wrote to Amtrak and got a response that essentially said that late trains happen, we're sorry, but we can't do anything about that, and we're not going to change our operational procedures to meet the needs of our passengers. (They did send us a travel voucher, though. I thought the purpose of the voucher program was so that they could find and fix the causes of passenger dissatisfaction.))

We still prefer the train to the airlines and driving. It's a lot more comfortable and less stressful.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattAtTrainWebDotCom
Member # 14

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for MattAtTrainWebDotCom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just like everything else about Amtrak, there is no formula to way they handle tardiness, no way to predict what they'll do. Often there are indeed motivated employees who do absolutely everything possible to mitigate the negative effects of problems such as the one Thunderfoot was in. But, of course, there are the rest of 'em.

While it would've seemed like a pain in the ass at the time, Amtrak could've anulled the westbound Lake Shore at, say, Gary, Indiana, and bussed out the remaining passengers. Concurrently, they could've bussed you guys in from Chicago, and turned the train at Gary to head back east. While no one likes being bustituted, timeliness is the priority in situations such as this, where there are lots of people making connections. So, something like that would've been the better solution overall. Or, it would've been at least SOME solution. That's absurd they held you for an hour in the yard. A lot would improve if all those little kinds of problems would be avoided.

------------------
-Matthew J. Melzer
matt@trainweb.com

Posts: 31 | From: Fullerton, CA, United States of America | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, some "uncommon" courtesy would be appreciated also! Most folks are aware that the trains are subject to delay, but give us passengers some ideas as to duration, etc. On the Surfliner route, they tend to explain a delay only when a train goes in a siding to let another Surfliner go by in the opposite direction. There's nothing wrong with cross-marketing, but they need to explain the other en route delays also.
It is difficult for me to support taxpayer funded studies for maglev, etc., when they are still having difficulties with the basic service.

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLC
Member # 58

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your expereince with the Late for Sure Limited is not surprising. AMTRAK probably has not back-up equipment for the LSL in Chicago. Last spring, I took this train to NY. It left Chicago without a dining car. I later found out that its eastbound counterpart had left NY the day before without a dining car.

AMTRAK's focus is on breaking even financiall. Consequently, it has devoted its efforts to developing a mail express business, which is profitable, in preference to devloping more attractive passenger services.

Posts: 62 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLC
Member # 58

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your expereince with the Late for Sure Limited is not surprising. AMTRAK probably has not back-up equipment for the LSL in Chicago. Last spring, I took this train to NY. It left Chicago without a dining car. I later found out that its eastbound counterpart had left NY the day before without a dining car.

AMTRAK's focus is on breaking even financiall. Consequently, it has devoted its efforts to developing a mail express business, which is profitable, in preference to devloping more attractive passenger services.

Posts: 62 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love riding the train, too, and sometimes lateness just means a little extra time to enjoy the ride. But Amtrak does have a problem, and I think it is partially due to factors outside its control (Congress comes to mind).

I have a friend whose family is Swiss. He tells me that in Switzerland the trains always run on time. This may sound silly, but maybe Amtrak should seriously consider hiring a few Swiss guys to handle their operations.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLC
Member # 58

Rate Member
Mr. Toy, you should also ask what sort of subisidy the Swiss government provides fo such excellent service. I suspect it is several billion US dollars a year.
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MLC:
Mr. Toy, you should also ask what sort of subisidy the Swiss government provides fo such excellent service. I suspect it is several billion US dollars a year.

It is my understanding that most, if not all European countries heavily subsidize their rail services. Certainly Amtrak could do wonders with similar benefits. But the motivation to provide good service goes beyond funding. It also requires a professional "can-do" attitude, which our American culture seems to lack when it comes to trains.

------------------
-Mr. Toy

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Shoots
Member # 315

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Shoots     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Howdy all.

<< [Amtrak] has devoted its efforts to developing a mail express business, which is profitable ... >>

"Allegedly profitable" I believe is more correct. I know of no one who has obtained the secret figures from Amtrak, showing capital and operating costs of doing that business as well as loss of passenger business due to the stretched schedules and lost time in terminals because switching took longer than scheduled. I know of no one who has obtained any of the income figures, either.

And then there's the loss of the good will of the host railroads to even consider such service (even though the freight roads weren't handling it).

Bill Shoots in Texas

Posts: 1 | From: Bacliff, Texas, USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had the opportunity to ride both the Swiss ('86) and British ('96) passenger trains. Many lines are double track; service was prompt and the rides were smooth. The relative lack of freight traffic kept delays to a minimum. (In Europe, the rails do not carry a large percentage of freight).
The European nations seem to view rail subsidies more like investments.
Maybe some European managers could help, but somehow I think they would be frustrated by the lack of "respect" that Amtrak receives from the freight railroads. Is there a way to speed up the switching of express cars?
Also, how does one make Amtrak more "relevant" to the public at large?

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLC
Member # 58

Rate Member
The handling of express cars is entirely AMTRAK's. In Chicago, a train departs, and then stops in the AMTRAK yard for about 45 minutes while the express cars are coupled (usually to the rear, especially if they are roadrailers). A simlar procedure occurs at arrival. These procedures are done to minimize costs, not for the convenience of the traveling public.

Mr. Toy, I traveled both the Swiss and the British Rail system in the 90's. I sometimes did find indifferent personnel on the Swiss lines. Neverthless, the trains were on time frequent, and an easy way to ge around the country. The station at Zurich at midnight is a fascinating place to watch the coming and going of trains!

Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MPALMER:

That's how I look at it, but Congress doesn't see it that way. It would seem its members think the service has no value unless it is "profitable." I wonder if the airlines would be profitable if they had pay build and maintain their own airports with their ticket revenue.

quote:

An important question. Most people I talk to say they would love to take the train "if I had the time." I think convenience is the key. Rail has a natural convenience factor in that most service goes from downtown to downtown (or close to it) instead of to a field many miles from town. Amtrak should play up that angle, as well as the relaxation factor. California's Capitol Corridor route has succeeded in conveying this image and ridership is growing rapidly.

Stations need to be attractive, clean, visible and have ample parking. So many stations, especially in the big cities, are hidden away in the scary neighborhoods (Emeryville, CA comes immediately to mind.)

I also think Amtrak needs more rail feeder lines to support the main lines. I don't like the idea of taking a long bus ride to catch a train (and neither does anyone I talk to). An hour on a bus would be OK. Two hours would be the most I could tolerate. Any more than that would be a waste of time. It would be easier to drive.

Of course this all could be done if the money was available. Without the funding we will continue to have a second class rail system.

------------------
-Mr. Toy

enrailway
Member # 350

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for enrailway   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

The Esquimalt and Nanaimo Passenger train was once four hours late. It turns out that on the northbound trip they hit someone in Duncan, BC causing the four hour delay. But this train is always late, it's supposed to arrive in Victoria at 1800 and the train always seems to trundle on in at about 1855 each night.

Posts: 26 | From: Sooke, BC, Canada | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Perkowski
Member # 376

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Perkowski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by MPALMER:
>> I have had the opportunity to ride both the Swiss ('86) and British ('96) passenger trains.

I travelled Deutsche Bundesbahn (Die Bahn), British Rail, and Swiss Rail quite extensively when I was stationed in Europe from 83-87. Lots of first class travel, lots of Trans-Euro-Nacht time.

OK, gang. HOW MUCH LAND belonging to the Historic AT&SF, UPRR, CB&Q, GN, MILW, SP, and NP was US Government subsidy for construction of the railroads??? LOTS. Remember, Lincoln WAS a railroad lawyer.

1) By marketing EXPRESS shipments. Folks, go look at a public timetable of the Union Pacific, Southern Pacific, or Santa Fe before 1967!! Until the US Post Office Department and USPS eliminated the Railway Post Office, a goodly chunk of RR passenger business was high speed express shipments.

Amtrak woke up and smelled the market.

Now, dropping back to RELEVANCY... does anyone recall the longer distance trains in Europe? DB InterCity's or overnight D-Zugs?

Folks, the longest intra-national night run I remember was just barely 12 hours, and the longest INTERNATIONAL run (including a ferry trip at night) was barely 16 hours).

Contrast that with LSL, which even at its fastest (20th Century Limited), is a 16 hour run.

Sorry for the rant, but we are revisiting history here.

John

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLC
Member # 58

Rate Member
[QUOTE]Originally posted by John Perkowski:
OK, gang. HOW MUCH LAND belonging to the Historic AT&SF, UPRR, CB&Q, GN, MILW, SP, and NP was US Government subsidy for construction of the railroads??? LOTS. Remember, Lincoln WAS a railroad lawyer.

1) By marketing EXPRESS shipments. Folks, go look at a public timetable of the Union Pacific, Southern Pacific, or Santa Fe before 1967!! Until the US Post Office Department and USPS eliminated the Railway Post Office, a goodly chunk of RR passenger business was high speed express shipments.

Hindsite is always 20-20. At the time the land was granted to the railroadsmost of it was worthless. The land was granted to encourage settlement, and it bacame valuablve as people moved westward. And, maps appearing in middle twentieth century history books greatly exagerate the amount of land granted to the railroads.

Recall also that laws were passed in Congress that also granted 40 free acres to anyone that wanted to settle on the land. Such laws greatly encouraged settlement of the western portion of this country. So the free land was availabe to citizens as well as the railroads.

As you point out, prior to AMTRAK, most passenger trains hauled mail and express. Under most circumstances, this traffic enabled the passenger service at least to cover its direct costs. When the railroads lost this business they also wanted out of the business of hauling passengers, since this was inherently unprofitable.

As the private railroads found out, AMTRAK also cannot hope to cover its costs hauling only passengers. The Congressional mandate, however, to be profitable has compelled AMTRAK to be a service that primarily hauls mail and express and only incidentally passengers. One needs only to observe the consists of such trains as the Three Rivers and Pennsylvanian to arrive at this conclusion.

NO passenger service in the world covers its costs. Yet (subsidized) train services serve a useful function in all the societies for which they operate. AMTRAK should not be held to a standard which is probably impossible to attain. Congress should decide whether this is a service worth supporting, and if it is, support the service with funding as it does with other worthwhile government programs.

MLC
Member # 58

Rate Member
[QUOTE]Originally posted by John Perkowski:

Hindsite is always 20-20. At the time the land was granted to the railroadsmost of it was worthless. The land was granted to encourage settlement, and it bacame valuablve as people moved westward. And, maps appearing in middle twentieth century history books greatly exagerate the amount of land granted to the railroads.

Recall also that laws were passed in Congress that also granted 40 free acres to anyone that wanted to settle on the land. Such laws greatly encouraged settlement of the western portion of this country. So the free land was availabe to citizens as well as the railroads.

As you point out, prior to AMTRAK, most passenger trains hauled mail and express. Under most circumstances, this traffic enabled the passenger service at least to cover its direct costs. When the railroads lost this business they also wanted out of the business of hauling passengers, since this was inherently unprofitable.

As the private railroads found out, AMTRAK also cannot hope to cover its costs hauling only passengers. The Congressional mandate, however, to be profitable has compelled AMTRAK to be a service that primarily hauls mail and express and only incidentally passengers. One needs only to observe the consists of such trains as the Three Rivers and Pennsylvanian to arrive at this conclusion.

NO passenger service in the world covers its costs. Yet (subsidized) train services serve a useful function in all the societies for which they operate. AMTRAK should not be held to a standard which is probably impossible to attain. Congress should decide whether this is a service worth supporting, and if it is, support the service with funding as it does with other worthwhile government programs.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page