RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Travel » Question?

Author Topic: Question?
Sheri
Member # 25

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Sheri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do they serve mixed/blended drinks such as "Pina Coladas" on the Southwest Cheif? Thank you.
-Sheri

Posts: 16 | From: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg
Member # 66

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sheri:
Do they serve mixed/blended drinks such as "Pina Coladas" on the Southwest Cheif? Thank you.
-Sheri

A limited selection of mixed drinks is available in the lower level of the Sightseer lounge car. Usually, some of these drinks are available at a discount during an announced "happy hour" during the late afternoon. One note for the Southwest Chief, there is no liquor served during the portion of the trip through Kansas due to the liquor laws of that state regulating "open saloons". However, since the train mostly travels across Kansas after midnight and before noon, this doesn't pose much of a problem.

------------------

Posts: 41 | From: San Diego, CA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheri
Member # 25

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Sheri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Greg:
A limited selection of mixed drinks is available in the lower level of the Sightseer lounge car. Usually, some of these drinks are available at a discount during an announced "happy hour" during the late afternoon. One note for the Southwest Chief, there is no liquor served during the portion of the trip through Kansas due to the liquor laws of that state regulating "open saloons". However, since the train mostly travels across Kansas after midnight and before noon, this doesn't pose much of a problem.

Greg,
Thank you for the info. Would you happen to know which kinds of mixed drinks they usually have available?
-Sheri

Posts: 16 | From: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattAtTrainWebDotCom
Member # 14

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for MattAtTrainWebDotCom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The most common mixed drinks are bloody marys and margaritas. I'm not sure about pina coladas, though. It often depends on the train.

------------------
-Matthew J. Melzer
matt@trainweb.com

Posts: 31 | From: Fullerton, CA, United States of America | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Haskell
Member # 59

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Richard Haskell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the more enjoyable aspects of Amtrak travel is seeing just how the crew can "make do" in the limited "long hallway" that is after all a railroad car. I was impressed with one of the barkeeps on the SW Chief. He had personalized his salon with just a touch of memorabilia from a pub in Ireland, called himself O'Malley and made the best Bloody Mary I'd had in a long time. I don't remember anybody drinking Pina Colada, but I was to busy getting sloshed and watching the scenery go by.

One hint for scenery if you pass thru Williams Arizona be sure to check out the old steam engines of the Grand Canyon Tourist Railway. They are located on the south side of the track with a genuine turn table and round house.

Posts: 6 | From: ALAMOGORDO, NEW MEXICO | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheri
Member # 25

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Sheri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for your replies. I appreciate it. Well, if they don't make Pina Coladas, then a Margarita sounds good to me. Take care and I'll post all about my trip when I get back. I will be taking the Southwest Cheif & Lake Shore Limited.
-Sheri

Richard Haskell
Member # 59

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard Haskell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have a great vacation trip.
Posts: 6 | From: ALAMOGORDO, NEW MEXICO | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheri
Member # 25

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Sheri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks! One more day and I am outta here. I'll post about it when I get back.
-Sheri

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page