RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Travel » International Visitors

Author Topic: International Visitors
agorm
Member # 286

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for agorm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all,
I would appreciate it if you could help me with some advice.
Our family are planning a trip to the US next July. We would like to experience as much of the country as possible in 2 weeks. We will have 2 daughters (8&4) with us. I like the look of taking the Southwest Chief from Chicago to Flagstaff, hire a car and drive through Grand Canyon, Monument Valley etc. to Thompson or Grand Junction and then east on California Zephyr back to Chicago.
Is this feasible in 2 weeks giving 2/3 days in Chicago and a reasonably leisurely drive north?
Are there any recommended stop offs on either train journeys?
How feasible is it for the children, they are reasonably good travellers but would possibly get bored on the long trips.
What are the approximate journey times of the train journeys mentioned ?
Are the trains busy during the first 2 weeks of July - what are the school holiday times in the US ?
Thank you,
Aidan

Posts: 3 | From: Ireland | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The direct driving distances/time from Flagstaff to Grand Junction is 437 miles / 10.5 hrs, but you want to visit some parks on the way, so it is up to you!

Southwest Chief is fast and reasonably scenic. You stop at Albuquerque on the second day where there are market stalls on the platform selling local crafts and burritos (which people rave about, but I'm not keen on burritos!). You leave Chicago mid-afternoon and arrive in Flagstaff just before 10pm the next day.

California Zephyr between Grand Junction and Denver is absolutely spectacular! Creeping around cliff ledges, passing through tunnels (one of them the Moffat tunnel, 10miles long (?)), and then a descent off the mountains into Denver where you can see the track winding down below you. Unfortunately the remainder of the journey is on the tedious side. You board in Grand Junction just before noon and arrive in Chicago late afternoon the following day.

There are movies and scenery to keep kids occupied for a while, but take some more activities with you.

Both trains are quite popular most of the year. I think most schoolkids are on their holidays by July.

Try to book a family sleeper on both trains. Meals are included in the price and you've got a room to yourself for the entire journey (room has 2 adult beds and 2 kids beds and takes up the entire width of the lower level of the coach).

Geoff.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few thoughts:
The Zephyr frequently runs late east bound so even though you are traveling in summer when daylight is longest, you run the risk of not seeing much of the Rockies. So I'd say take the Zephyr west from Chicago to Grand Junction and then drive south and catch SW Chief back to Chicago.

My experience is that scenery doesn't go far with a 4 y/o. Activities do. There are a lot remarkable areas to hike and tour on a drive from GJ to Flagstaff. Grand Junction has a very kid friendly dinosaur museum (actually in Fruita just outside GJ. There's lots of hikes to take as you travel the southwest into Utah and south to the 4 Corners region. Short hikes to see spectacular scenery and petroglyphs if your youngest is up for it.

there'l also be a lot of wonderful fruit through western CO and Utah in July so you'll have lots to snack on in the car. Wineries in the Grand Junction area too.

You'll be along the South Rim of the Grand Canyon and there are tours and donkey rides down into the canyon. Well worth it but also likely to require advance booking. The South Rim is very very crowded in summer, despite the heat. Slow driving too sometimes.

There are surely a dozen parks and national monuments (many small and off down gravel roads but intriguing and isolated places) worth seeing on the drive your are planning - Grand Canyon needs a day or two, Utah needs a couple of days( Arches, Natural Bridges, Hovenweep..) Grand Junction area a couple - dinosaur digs and river rafting trips(suitable for as 4 year old); 4 corners (monument valley) a couple of days. That's 8/10 and you need 2 for the trains each way. So that gives you little slack. You'll have to choose, but most of it is gorgeous and interesting, so i think you'll be okay. I have been to many of the parks in that area. I live in Denver but lived in Grand Junction for a number of years and did a lot of hiking and camping the area you are talking about touring. So feel free to email me directly iraslotkin@hotmail.com. And good luck. People have usually been very kind to me on my international travels so i hope you have the same experience here.

Ira

Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like you got plenty of train info there.
meanwhile, as for holidays, Wednesday July 4 is Independence Day. If you want to see fireworks, it is probably better to be in Chicago or some other city area that day. Fireworks are banned in the Grand Canyon and other areas of the southwest because of the fire danger. Besides, you go to the southwest to see the sights (mentioned in the previous posts above).
The Grand Canyon also is served by a steam-powered train that operates from Williams, Arizona. If you have time, you might want to consider that.

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
agorm
Member # 286

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for agorm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MPALMER:
Sounds like you got plenty of train info there.
meanwhile, as for holidays, Wednesday July 4 is Independence Day. If you want to see fireworks, it is probably better to be in Chicago or some other city area that day. Fireworks are banned in the Grand Canyon and other areas of the southwest because of the fire danger. Besides, you go to the southwest to see the sights (mentioned in the previous posts above).
The Grand Canyon also is served by a steam-powered train that operates from Williams, Arizona. If you have time, you might want to consider that.

Posts: 3 | From: Ireland | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
agorm
Member # 286

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for agorm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to everyone who has replied to this. I hear also that the complete journey on the California Zephyr is specttacular. I just have to balance the train / driving combinations as well as the cost.
The information provided will be very valuable to me.

Regards,
Aidan

JSChicago
Member # 68

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for JSChicago     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One more thought.... perhaps to visit the Grand Canyon's North Rim instead of the South Rim? It is very uncrowded and serene (while the South Rim is utterly mobbed; practically urban in nature), scenic, and has a much more pleasant climate than the South Rim. It is however a little harder to get to. It's up to you.

------------------
Peace,

Jack S.
Chicago, IL

Posts: 27 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The time of year you are traveling is a very busy time for Amtrak. The S W Chief is especially busy. Any arrangements should be made as soon as possible.
As a travel agent specializing in rail travel I would be happy to help with your arrangements. I have lived in Albuquerque New Mexico for many years & am now living in southern California. Please contact me for any help you might need.
Yours Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timecruncher
Member # 323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for timecruncher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll add to the most recent post -- make your reservations immediately. The trains sell out early on both of these routes as this is the heaviest travel season in the US.

If you do travel by rail, bring lots of patience with you. Amtrak is the least reliable of intercity travel options in this country right now and isn't likely to improve between now and Summer!

Even so, the rail travel experience in the US is unlike that of England and France, where I have traveled by rail overseas. I hope you enjoy your visit!

Posts: 6 | From: Burlington, KY USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page