RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Travel » New Scranton-New York rail service?

Author Topic: New Scranton-New York rail service?
soupjoan
Member # 319

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for soupjoan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have heard through second-hand sources that a new rail service is "in the works" between Scranton PA and New York City. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this, or is it simply rumor? We currently live near Scranton and would welcome the opportunity to travel by rail to NYC.

Thanks!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisJ
Member # 320

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChrisJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it's in the works, although still 2-3 years away. Check out the following link for more info:
http://www.pennjerseyrail.org/

Posts: 46 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JSChicago
Member # 68

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for JSChicago     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a great idea, but I'm unclear about something: Who will operate the trains? Amtrak, NJ Transit, or some other newly created company?

------------------
Peace,

Jack S.
Chicago, IL

Posts: 27 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoeG
Member # 279

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, Hoboken-Scranton service is many years away. About 20 years ago, Conrail removed the tracks from a portion of the route. The money hasn't been appropriated to rebuild the railroad yet, although it is in the works and will probably happen within 10 or 20 years. I'm not being unduly pessimistic--railroad infrastructure projects take forever. I'm not sure who will ultimately run the trains, but I suspect it will be New Jersey Transit and one or more Pennsylvania agencies rather than Amtrak.
Posts: 4 | From: Suffern, NY, USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoeG
Member # 279

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, Hoboken-Scranton service is many years away. About 20 years ago, Conrail removed the tracks from a portion of the route. The money hasn't been appropriated to rebuild the railroad yet, although it is in the works and will probably happen within 10 or 20 years. I'm not being unduly pessimistic--railroad infrastructure projects take forever. I'm not sure who will ultimately run the trains, but I suspect it will be New Jersey Transit and one or more Pennsylvania agencies rather than Amtrak.
Posts: 4 | From: Suffern, NY, USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoeG
Member # 279

Rate Member
1) Somehow, my previous post got put up twice--my apologies.
2) The Scranton train will go to Hoboken, NJ, and you will have to take the PATH train or ferry to get to New York City.

rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a subject that has been extensively discussed on several forums. Here are the facts as I know them:

1) Rail line in Pennsylvania between Scranton and Stroudsburg is owned by the two counties, and is in service (albeit at slow speeds). Steamtown ran an excursion a couple of years ago.

2) NS owns a short stretch of track in Stroudsburg (retained by CR when line was sold to the counties), but has offered to sell to a passenger rail operator

3)Former Lackawanna Cutoff between Stroudsburg and Port Morris is being acquired by New Jersey DOT from a private owner who had bought it from Conrail to "mine" the fills. Last I heard, they were in court over an appropriate price.

4) New Jersey is actively studying extension of commuter service from Port Morris (junction with current Morris & Essex service) to Blairstown or possibly to Stroudsburg. Tracks on the cutoff would have to be restored.

If trains are to run to Scranton, a substantial upgrade of the Pennsylvania portion of the line (including possibly restoration of signals) would be necessary. It is also a question as to who might run the service. There is no present agreement between PA and NJ on this matter. However, if service were to operate, it could run to New York Penn Station via the new connection currently used by the "Midtown Direct" NJTransit service.

Don't look for anything to happen for five years or more.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoeG
Member # 279

Rate Member
1) The last Congress shot down the appropriation for studying how to rebuild the Scranton route. That means things are at a standstill. Note we are still in the study phase. That's why even 5 years is way too optimistic.
2) The tunnels betwwn NJ and Penn Station are at capacity. Any relatively small improvements produced by signal changes, etc. will be used by already-overcrowded commuter service. The final destination of Scranton trains has been discussed elsewhere, and it seems clear it would be Hoboken, at least until a new NJ-NY rail tunnel is built.

MattAtTrainWebDotCom
Member # 14

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for MattAtTrainWebDotCom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And has anyone even considered where the equipment would come from should this train be operated by Amtrak? I don't even see where they're gonna get the cars for their Strategic Growth plan trains (Downeaster, Aztec Eagle, etc.).

------------------
-Matthew J. Melzer
matt@trainweb.com

Posts: 31 | From: Fullerton, CA, United States of America | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soupjoan
Member # 319

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for soupjoan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like the project got a substantial boost! Check out the most recent installment on http://www.pennjerseyrail.org/

Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page