RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Travel » "Bad track"

Author Topic: "Bad track"
Thunderfoot
Member # 265

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thunderfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Bad track" is a phrase I've heard a lot, but never seen defined.

Just returned to Buffalo NY from Flagstaff AZ, via the Southwest Chief and Lakeshore Ltd. Much of the ride was pretty rough; "ground turbulence" I believe was the term used once in a post by one of the forum's members, and it fits.

Such shaking, rattling, and rolling usually gets blamed on "bad track". But what, exactly, is bad track? Rails that are warped? Nicked? Rails with gaps or holes? Rails that aren't secured properly to the ties, or ties that aren't secured to the railbed? All of the above?

And why isn't the problem being remedied?

And at what point does "bad track" become "dangerously bad track"?

Thanks.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bad track seems to refer to "track out of level" (but not out of gauge). It does get remedied from time to time, but it is expensive & disruptive to schedules, especially on single line track.
Over the years the improvements to the Surf Line have been welcome and have resulted in an improved ride. That route was aided with taxpayer funds; that option is not likely to be available on most of the freight-heavy routes.

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richarddschivley
Member # 274

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for richarddschivley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thunder Foot, I noticed you said in your post, "you had just returned to, Buffalo, NY". I was born and raised in and around Buffalo. I lived for 27YRS. in, Lancaster, NY. On Genesee St. My Dad, was the Vice-President of, The Buffalo Forge Co. Are you from this area, or are you just a visitor? May all your signals be green. Richard
Posts: 144 | From: Yanceyville,NC. USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
8notch
Member # 404

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for 8notch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of bad track, I rode the Silver Metor last year from Miami to New York and the roughest track i found was from just north of West Palm Beach, FL to just north of the WinterHaven station. Reel jolting but fun none the less.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm no expert, but I read somewhere that welded track gives a smoother ride than jointed track. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe jointed track is just sections bolted together which makes a seam, and therefore a slight bump. Welding makes a seamless transition between sections of track, and results in a smoother ride.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's generally true, I think, that welded rail gives a smoother ride than non-welded for the reasons you give. But, I've ridden jointed rail which was just about as smooth, although I'm sure the maintenance costs are much higher to maintain that type of track.

rick

Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
enrailway
Member # 350

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for enrailway   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While the welded rail gives you smoother ride, I prefer to hear the clickety-clack of the wheels hitting those joints.
Posts: 26 | From: Sooke, BC, Canada | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jointed track is, as you say, sections of (60ft?) rail bolted together with fishplates (or whatever the US term is!). As the wheel hits the small gap between the rails, it falls down slightly and hits the opposite corner of the next rail, causing it to round off the corner. Then the next wheels come along and do the same kind of hammering. Over time you get a real V shape between the rails and a big bump!

Also, what seems to make it worse is the way joints in opposite rails are staggered, so you first sway to the left, then to the right, then to the left...!

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geoffm:
Over time you get a real V shape between the rails and a big bump!

That explains the ride I experienced east of Salt Lake City. It was a hard bumping but in a regular rhythm. It made it difficult to sleep. But I slept fine on the return trip didn't notice anything.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page