RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » amtrak crews based in DC

Author Topic: amtrak crews based in DC
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
does anybody know how many amtrak crews are based in washington DC? i am moving to DC soon and am thinking of trying to get a job on amtrak. Somebody told me that most crews are based in chicago though. any info would be appreciated. thanks
Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Cardinal is crewed out of DC. The northeast corridor service also is at least partially crewed out of DC.

Reggie

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tubaallen
Member # 2057

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tubaallen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Capitol Limited HAS been crewed in DC before, and I'm not sure if it currently is or not. I know it has also been crewed in Pittsburgh.

Chicago only crews 4 trains: Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Texas Eagle, and Lake Shore Limited (Boston Section). And actually it has been crewing one position on the Southwest Chief. However, it seems that historically this has been changed all the time. Good luck!

Also, don't forget that if you're willing to work on the operations crew (though it might be hard to get a job there), you can work at a number of smaller crew bases.

Posts: 92 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Train Attendant West
Member # 2350

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Train Attendant West     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What position are you applying for? On-board or T/E? For On-board Amtrak has bases in D.C. but senority goes fairly high. Also Amtrak is currently in a furlough mode for On-board services. But.... from the bottom of my heart, the last thing I want to do is ruin any career plans you may have, but as a 12 year veteran I'm running from Amtrak to salvage what little sanity I have left. The conditions and equipment I am provided with make my sincere attempts at old-fashioned customer service impossible! Management is openly antagonistic to anyone who "actually works on the train". Employee morale is at an all time LOW. What conditions you might ask? I'll start with dirty, dilapidated cars, short staffing (to the point of un-safe, i.e. 1 attendant working 3 coaches- 18 hour days), lack of sufficient rest, un-sanitary lay-over hotels, union contract violation by crew desk and base supervisors- fefusal to pay for time worked even! I could go on ad-infinitum, but I hope you get the idea. I love the passengers and the crews I work with, but the atmopsphere is rife with TENSION and HOSTILITY. From first hand experience I can tell that the fantasy and the reality are TWO DIFFERENT things. You must ask yourself if you are willing to enter a professionally abusive situation. I hope this post does't hurt your feelins, as I write it in concern. Whatever you decide to do, I wish you luck and God Bless.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page