RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Parking at Los Angeles Union Station

Author Topic: Parking at Los Angeles Union Station
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live in Phoenix, Arizona. I am planning a trip on the Coast Starlight with my family from Los Angeles to Portland and back. I am planning on driving to Los Angeles from Phoenix.

What is the parking situation like at Los Angeles Union Station? I will have to leave my car there for about a week. Are there better places around there to leave my car? Please give me any ideas you have about leaving my car in a safe place.

Thank you for your help.

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only experience I have was 10 years ago. I know there were Amtrak employees who parked at Union Station rather than at the coach yard(where employees normally parked). None ever mentioned any problems at the station but did on occasion hear about vandalism at the coach yard. If you're staying at a hotel in LA before your trip the hotel might be able to arrange parking at a reduced rate. I know of several hotels that have a cruise away package for cruise passengers.

Reggie

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The lot right at Union Station charges $10 a day and the spaces are rather small. If you have a large vehicle it might be tough to get a good space.

There is a hotel nearby LAUS that Mr. Toy mentioned once (I don't recall which but they *might* have parking.)

If you haven't booked your trip yet, you might consider departing from Glendale instead of LA; you will likely find parking to cost less up there.

Another alternative would be to use Fullerton, where parking is free (and some spaces are in a structure), and use the Surfliner to connect to/from LA. Another post said you can get a ticket from the station agent for extended parking (Fullerton is a staffed station; not sure about Glendale). This alternative would be less appealing time-wise, though, because you would have to leave real early for northbound departure and on return could get in real late. And if you have lots of luggage it could be a real bear.

The LA-Fullerton segment is not scenic but it has several junctions and diamonds that would be of interest to a modeler

MP

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trainman1
Member # 1392

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for trainman1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MPALMER:
Another post said you can get a ticket from the station agent for extended parking (Fullerton is a staffed station; not sure about Glendale).

Glendale is not a staffed station. It's free to park in the lot there, and I think there are a few spaces set aside for long-term Amtrak passenger parking. It seems like a fairly safe location, but there are obviously no guarantees.

Posts: 112 | From: North Hollywood, California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for your suggestions. We have not booked our trip yet, so we will consider your ideas. I appreciate all of your help.

------------------
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rode through the Glendale station Sat. on the Surfliner; agree it does look ok especially since the grounds and parking lot were fixed up a few years ago.
Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
choochoo
Member # 2346

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for choochoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In case it might be helpful to you, there is a Budget car rental at LA Union Station. Or, you might be able to stay at a hotel near the light rail that goes to the Union Station that may allow you to leave your car for the trip.

If at all possible I suggest getting aboard in LA to give you the opportunity to claim a swivel seat in the parlour car and listen to the day's itinerary. We recently made the trip and had Richard as the parlour car attendant. He made the trip so enjoyable with the train music he played (i.e. Chattanooga Choo Choo, etc.,), railroad related movies,informative presentation of wines during the wine tasting and his narrative of the route. He explained that there are 10 crews. I don't know if the others put forward this kind of effort.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding the parlour car...check out TALKrr's post called 'My Trip' in "Travel". Evidently it's a first come, first served setup with no "time limit"?
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MPALMER:
There is a hotel nearby LAUS that Mr. Toy mentioned once (I don't recall which but they *might* have parking.)

Wasn't me as I am not familiar with LAUS. It might have been a response under this thread I started last year http://www.railforum.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000292.html wherein CK wrote:

quote:
In LA, I suggest you stay at the Days Inn Downtown at 711 Main Street (formerly the Metro Plaza Hotel). It is directly across the street from LAUS.

P.S. I expect to be having dinner with my wife on the Coast Starlight about 28 hours from now.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 03-04-2003).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We just bought our tickets. We are travelling from Los Angeles to Portland in a family bedroom. A few days later we will ride coach from Portland to San Francisco (actually Emeryville). A few days after that we will ride coach again back to Los Angeles.

I have never travelled first class in the Coast Starlight, so I have never been in a Pacific Parlour car. I am looking forward to it.

------------------
www.geocities.com/evrr

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page