RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » LakeShore back to the old schedule

Author Topic: LakeShore back to the old schedule
LateShoreLimited
Member # 2025

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LateShoreLimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like the Lake Shore (49) will be going back to it's old schedule and depart Penn Station around 3:45 pm . #48 will be leaving Chicago about an hour earlier.

Things are always subject to change but it seems the experiment is over after a disasterous few months

Posts: 35 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AMTK271
Member # 1778

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for AMTK271   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where did you read this, and when will this happen if it does? Thanks.
-Paul

Posts: 24 | From: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's too bad for those of us who board #49 out of Buffalo. The 9:00 pm departure was very convenient, although the 7:00 am arrival was too early into Chicago. Perhaps an 8:00 am arrival would make more sense. Also if #48 departs Chicago an hour earlier, that makes for even worse connections from the western trains.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know the source of your information either. I've been checking availability in April and May and the schedule hasn't changed.

Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LateShoreLimited
Member # 2025

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LateShoreLimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Schedule changes will occur in mid April.
Nothing will be changed in the availability until things are finalized....it's not a done deal but it seems likely.....ridership took a serious hit ...I guess people traveling west don't enjoy 8 hour layovers in Chicago

Posts: 35 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Italiancanuck89
Member # 1873

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Italiancanuck89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out the March issue of Railpace Magazine. It talks about all the problems with the new scheduale. Things like a decrease in sleeper ridership because of the odd timed departure and early arrival in Chicago. I also thought that the early arrival into Chicago was more for the extra time to service and turn the set during the trying winter months.

Royaltrain, are you from or around BUF,too?

Posts: 115 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daisybumble
Member # 855

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for daisybumble     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gee, I wonder if Amtrak is going to let me know about the schedule change? I made reservations on the Amtrak site for the LSL two weeks ago (just before the sale ended). We're going NYC-Chicago in August. I don't really mind the change...we can leave for NYC at the same time and just have a leisurely lunch. And we won't be getting to Chicago at the butt-crack of dawn!
Posts: 53 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To Italiancanuck89:

I am from Toronto, however, whenever I travel to Chicago, I take Via's General Brock to Niagara Falls Ont., take a limo or taxi across the border to Buffalo and connect with #49. With the current time it is much better than having to wait many hours for a 2am (or later) departure out of Depew station. But if Amtrak would run the train just an hour later, it would be better for w/b connections out of Chicago as well as allowing for a little more rest for those of us in the sleepers.

Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Italiancanuck89
Member # 1873

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Italiancanuck89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok, i got wind of something more anout the time change. 49 will be coming through BUF about 2hrs later (11pm) then it does now and 48 will be coming through around 5am, 284's current time. I assume that 284 will take 48's current time, too. As for 286, I'm still unsure.
Posts: 115 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LateShoreLimited
Member # 2025

Rate Member
What I've heard is 11:40pm arrival in Buffalo and depart at midnight and #48 would be 5:30 departure out of Buffalo which would move #284 and #286 back....#286 would depart Niagara Falls about 10:00 AM

Looks like it should happen at the end of April

efin98
Member # 1943

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for efin98     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so basically the change will happen when the usual semianual schedule change occurs
Posts: 55 | From: Chelsea, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boooooooooo!!!!

Has anyone been able to *confirm* this yet???
Back to screwing western NYers into waking up before morning to catch both and sticking three trains into Cleveland at essentially the same time.
I won't be able to help you since ESPA sends my newsletter home and apparently is too overworked to update the webpage. NARP says the LSL will run "later westbound" for what that's worth.
Of course, the right solution would be separating the NY and Boston sections to two different trains running 6-12 hours apart and we know how soon that's going to happen.

Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Italiancanuck89
Member # 1873

Rate Member
I've heard about the splitting of 49/48 and 449/448 into seperate trains in the past. I think it came pretty close to reality at one point but didn't go through. I think the idea is great though. For the railfans, it would provide more trains to see at better times, that and it would save time in ALB if one section is late arriving
LateShoreLimited
Member # 2025

Rate Member
Last I heard it will go in to effect April 28th.
I should know more soon......

LateShoreLimited
Member # 2025

Rate Member
It's official... #49 departs Penn Station 2:50 PM arrives Chicago 9:07 am

#48 departs Chicago 7:00 PM arrives Penn at 1:50 PM

royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
For Buffalo passengers, #49 will arrive at 11:40 pm and depart at 11:55 pm. Train #48 departs Chicago at 7:00 pm and arrives in Buffalo at 5:15 am. I guess this means only one meal out of both New York and Chicago. Would I be correct in assuming that with the current 12:45 pm departure out of New York, sleeping car passengers are entitled to both a Lunch and a dinner when departing that city?
Amtrak288
Member # 1967

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak288   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, figure out this one, it looks like The Lake Shore won't be stopping in Sandusky or Elyria anymore after the schedule switch? I wasn't able to get a reservation for those cities on the Lake Shore, it appears that now you have to ride to Cleveland, and switch to the Capitol Limited that will now stop at those cities. Anyone know more about this?
Posts: 113 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LateShoreLimited
Member # 2025

Rate Member
I wouldn't worry yet. There is also a time scheduled for Dunkirk NY....and I don't think that is going to happen. Give it another week so they can work the bugs out.
Amtrak288
Member # 1967

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak288   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dunkirk, NY? I know they've been trying for years to get an Amtrak Stop but I haven't heard anything about that here? I know there is a station there but Amtrak hasn't stopped there in years as far as I know.
Posts: 113 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak288
Member # 1967

Rate Member
To Add to my last post, Dunkirk, NY is served by a Thruway Bus Connection, the bus is run by Empire Transit Lines, which is operated by Coach USA. It runs past the station I mentioned in my last post, as far as Amtrak actually stopping there, well we'll have to see, once all the kinks are worked out of the system, it will be interesting how all this pans out.
LateShoreLimited
Member # 2025

Rate Member
That was my point ...it will not work out.

As far as I know they still need an elevator there and do not have the money.

My point was that it usually take a week or two to fix the errors in the schedule

Italiancanuck89
Member # 1873

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Italiancanuck89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where/How can i see the new scheduale for the Lake Shore?
Carknocker51
Member # 2401

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Carknocker51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup...in May I'll be traveling fr. TOL.to NYP&I just found out after upgrading to a standard room.It'll be a much longer wait for my Acela ride to WAS., But thats what the Lounge is for!
Posts: 2 | From: New Haven,MI | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LateShoreLimited
Member # 2025

Rate Member
250p NYP
334p Croton Harmon
605p Albany
640p SDY
757p Utica
906p Syracuse
1029p Rochester
1155p Buffalo
142a Erie
340a Cleveland
540a Toldedo
552a Waterlo
701a South Bend
907a Chicago
from what i hear there are no plans to stop in Hammond, Elyria, Sandusky......you would have to make a connection in Cleveland.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page