RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Empire Builder

Author Topic: Empire Builder
Son of Hobo
Member # 1884

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Son of Hobo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am booked on the Empire builder for September - west to east - what can I expect

Posts: 12 | From: Port Saint Lucie, Florida USA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Santa Fe 5704
Member # 2277

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Santa Fe 5704     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never been on the route but sit back and relax and don't get in any hurry but rather enjoy the scenery.
Posts: 53 | From: Kansas City, Missouri USA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kjkober
Member # 1423

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for kjkober     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going in April - east to west - I'll let you know.
Posts: 42 | From: Akron, Ohio USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
choochoo
Member # 2346

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for choochoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We recently and the train into MSP ran about two hours late. The crew seemed very disappointed in the lateness.

We had to be bussed to Portland from a small town in Oregon to make the departure on time. We were given a boxed meal as we boarded the sleeper car which was kind of a let down after coming from the Coast Starlight. The shrimp boxed meal was very good.

Our car attendant "Larry" had the patience of a saint. He was dealing with a mother/daughter each in their own deluxe sleeper and their *** and had to cater to their whims. They were always trying to get him to let them off the train to walk the *** . It was interesting to watch and listen to the routine.

We were awoken around 6:00 am one day because other Amtrak employees using the empty sleepers were having a loud conversation outside our sleeper door. This was rude and inconsiderate in my opinion. We also ran out of sodas and water early in the trip.

Overall I was happy with the sleeper. It was older than the Starlight but had a nice closet to stash everything into. I really liked having the lower bunk as compared to the top shelf.

There was no parlour car but the viewing car that had the movable couch type seating had the snack bar in the basement. Very nice scenery until after Glacier, then monotonous except for the deer and eagles we saw.

Nice visiting with the passengers and interesting to speak with the Amish travelers.

I would recommend the Amtrak Signature dessert and see if you can get it alamode.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Son of Hobo
Member # 1884

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Son of Hobo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I posted this message to mostly find out about views along the way and the service on the train - Last September my wife and I took the Sunset Limited from LA to Orlando - the trip was much delayed along the way - (Run away kids - a Flasher in coach - electric problems) well 15 hours late by the time we got to New Orleans and Amtrak terminated the train at that point and ushered most to busses - But I said I did not pay for 1st class to ride a bus for 18 hours to orlando - so they called a taxi and put us up in a nice hotel and payed for meals the next day and then they got a plane ticket for Orlando(we were not put on the next train, because of an approching storm that canceled trains) the meals on the train were great and the Family bedroom was very good.
Posts: 12 | From: Port Saint Lucie, Florida USA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
going from west to east is better in the winter because you past glacier park in the daylight. wintertime travel east to west goes through there in the dark, which is too bad as glacier is the most scenic part of the line.

Im looking forward to my trip on the builder in three days!

Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out this excellent web site devoted to the Great Northern's Empire Builder, circa 1935 and 1968. As I found out when I traveled from Seattle to Chicago last summer, the passenger cars have changed, but the journey is still the same.
www.gngoat.org/empire_builder.htm

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
F40PHR231
Member # 1350

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for F40PHR231   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Empire Builder is my favorite route. I traveled it last summer, great experience! I took at least 250 pictures on this route, in both ways, you can view them on my "incomplete" travelogue (text is incomplete, but photos are done)

Check it out at ...
http://www.trainweb.org/f40phr231/travel/gnmw/01gnmw.html

May take a while to load though! Don't expect any of the other links to work, I uploaded that one part just for you all to see for now.

Posts: 82 | From: Irvine, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Son of Hobo:
I am booked on the Empire builder for September - west to east - what can I expect

If you are leaving from Portland: Columbia River Gorge is beautiful; no diner which operates in the Seattle section, so box lunch is provided in sleepers; coach passengers use cafe in lounge car; no smoking on board until Spokane.

Mountain viewing on the second day begins when you wake up or when the sun rises and lasts until East Glacier, MT, mid-morning. Rest of the day spent on the high plains of Montana which is interesting, IMO. In the evening, watch for the Missouri River "breaks" area, very scenic and historical. Next morning you'll be along the Mississippi River, chose left side lounge car seating for best views.

Other thoughts: shortly after Minot ND the mainline swings to the SE bypassing "major" population centers in ND of Grand Forks and Fargo which the EB serves on secondary lines. This section has been improved in recent years, but is still the worst ride of the trip. Walk around breaks are at Havre, MT, Minot, ND, and Minneapolis/St Paul, MN.

Time keeping should be good, the BNSF/CP do a fine job of keeping this train moving over a single track mainline.

Crews are some of the best in the system. Equipment is generally Superliner I.

Get a timetable before you board, sometimes you can find them on board and sometimes not. Look for an old route guide, it is available on the web. Even the poor ones ATK provided in recent years are seldom found on trains these days.

If traveling coach, look for a seat which has a good bottom cushion - it WILL make a difference and buy a neck pillow, you won't regret it.

Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To Son of Hobo - I would second what Mr. rmiller said about the route -- he has hit it pretty well. A comment on "shanghaiamtrak's" post however -- due to the northern latitude of this route, you will have daylight in the summer going from east to west all the way to Whitefish, MT (which is past Glacier Park), and beyond, and going east, as you are, you will have plenty of early morning daylight to see the Glacier Park area.

As rmiller said, the trip on the Portland section of the EB is well worth it, going along the Columbia River Gorge, and the Sightseer Lounge runs on the Portland section. If you are leaving from Seattle, you will have some nice coastal views leaving Seattle, and if weather conditions are right, you will be able to see Mt. Baker from south of Everett, and also Mt. Rainier at one point. Going east on the Seattle section, you go through the Cascade Mountains , which is a very pretty part of the trip, and if you are going in the summer, you will see most of the mountains in daylight. As others have said, the scenery flattens out considerably after you leave Glacier Park on the morning of the second day, but there still some interesting and scenic areas in eastern Montana to see during the second day. On the 3rd day of your trip eastbound, after Minneapolis-St. Paul, the EB travels along the Mississippi River for quite a while, and that is a pretty area, then you will go across one of the prettier areas of Wisconsin.

Have a great trip!!

--Rich

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kjkober
Member # 1423

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for kjkober     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are there any stops along the way headed westbound on the EB that a runner could get a mile or two in? I'll be in sleepers so I'll be able to deodorize

I'd need a scheduled station stop at least 15-20 minutes.

Posts: 42 | From: Akron, Ohio USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To kjkober about running: St.Paul, Minot, and Havre have stops long enough for you to run, usually more than 20 minutes. St.Paul is after dark in an industrial area -not unsafe, but not very pleasant (I live nearby).

Minot and Havre are much better. These are crew change points with padding built into the schedule so the stops can be longer than the schedule shows. Just be aware of the scheduled departure time. And when the number of folks outside the train begins to dwindle,
be near an open train door.

From experience, my plan was always to venture away from the station immediately after arrival, then run back and forth the distance of the open train doors as departure time was looming. Sometimes you could get 40-50 minutes out of it.

And if you mess up, you've got another 24 hours!

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kjkober
Member # 1423

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for kjkober     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks TSR! That's good advice. I'll go in chicago, then at Minot or Havre and Seattle once I get there. That should justify dessert in the diner!
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your train is running behind schedule, the stops at St. Paul, Minot, or Havre might be shorter than usual.

As you step out onto the platform, always ask the car attendant or conductor how long the stop is likely to be -- but don't take their rough estimate as gospel. On more than one long distance train, I've been told "twenty minutes," and we ended up pulling out after fifteen. Or even sooner. Don't stray too far.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dilly:
If your train is running behind schedule, the stops at St. Paul, Minot, or Havre might be shorter than usual.

A VERY good word of warning. Use the published timetable as your time of departure, NEVER take the word of a car attendant, the conductor is in charge of the trains operation. For example, let's say the schedule calls for a 45 minute stop at Havre and the trains arrival leaves only 15 minutes BEFORE the scheduled departure....don't count on getting 30 minutes, it might happen and it might not.

Say the train arrives at or after the timetable departure time....don't count on getting that 45 minutes, the train will leave as soon as the work they have to do is finished.

I was once left behind at Denver, but fortunately, that was when the Pioneer was still running and I was able to get space on that train and a connecting bus Ogden to Salt Lake where I was able to rejoin the CZ.

rick

Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ed Alexander
Member # 1909

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ed Alexander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And don't forget to look out (north) for the Izaak Walton Inn at Essex, Montana. Whatta place! Railroad heaven! And DO enjoy the stops at Minot and Havre. Inside the depots, the snacks & pop are cheaper than on the train.
Posts: 12 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Darn......

kjkober is making me feel bad..... :-(

Walking to the diner justifies dessert for me... :-(

BTW, Wisconsin Dells is another scenic spot on your trip. And the trip out of Milwaukee will give you a look at Lake Michigan.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Another thought regarding kjkober's plan to squeeze in some running during the longer station stops:

If I recall correctly, at Havre, it's possible to make a complete circuit around the gigantic Great Northern steam locomotive that sits next to the station. Sprint around it fifty times or so and you'll probably do a mile.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page